Tandem - Chain Life

Titanio

I was wondering what the average life of a tandem chain is?

My left chain broke on the 1st hill at Argus and almost ruined my 11th consecutive Argus. Walked back to the start and bought 2 chains before I could get back on the road.

I probably would have expected that since the right chain moves around that it would be the most likely to go. But come to think of it the left chain must take a lot of pressure. I'm really enjoying the tandem, just think that I need to be travelling with an entire spares shop just in case.

I'm sure there are some of you that have experience that can answer this.

I used to replace my chain every 2000km. Buy a chain guage and will save you more as that way you save on clusters as well.

Guest Big H

The chain life of the Lhs chain is normally quite long if it is regularly cleaned and maintained. It is not required to shift gears and is not subject to the stresses of the rhs drive chain. I normally fit a seven speed or eight speed chain here. One of our Tandems has a BMX chain. It is heavier than the rest but heck we are not winning races, we just enjoy Tandemming. You must make sure the tension of the lhs chain is correct or it may fall off.

On measuring chain life. Search the hub on this topic. It has been discused many times. Chain checkers do not work. Get yourself a ruler to measure it.

Our left one has only broken once in 3 years and we put on between 8 000 and 10 000 km on the tandem every year. We break the right one once a year at least smiley9.gif

Thanks! Guess its murphy's that my left would go and break at the Argus. I replaced it with a 9 speed Giant chain. So I guess it should be good until at least the next important race.