Surgery recovery period

Fellow hubbers

Fractured my patella (knee cap) in Dec unkowningly after a MTB fall.  Went for an op to screw the two parts back together again beginning Feb. Two weeks on crutches and then the slow process of recovery started.  Got back on the bike for very light rides last week as part of the physio.

Process is damn slow.

Anyone has experience on what to do, when to get me back to full fitness again ASAP, but not risking my long term health?

Broke my collar bone on 31st December, had it plated on the 8th of Jan. Been riding for 2 weeks now, swimming for 3, light weight and theraband work for 3 weeks. Last night was my first night of some more "advanced" weights and exercises at gym, did some DB press, kettle bell shoulder press, cable flies etc, felt awesome!

What I keep telling myself is that yes it may be slow, but you are the only one that can get yourself fully functional again. You have to work hard and keep your chin up. I was progressing nicely at gym before the accident, and have had to swallow my ego in the weight den smiley19.gif Shoulder pressing 6kg DB's has been a real let down, but I know it's worth it.

Going to swing a leg over my DH rig this weekend smiley2.gif

Could only manage to walk properly the past two weeks.  Did a lot of walking/sightseeing Wink when I was in Vegas a week or so ago!!

Definately planning a round soon!!  Course is stunning and need to try out my new Burner again.

Ja, was suppose to start the Epic again on Sunday!! sh*t happens.  At least my Epic partner got a better looking buddy this year!!!  He's riding in the mixed cat now. 

I had my collarbone plated too. That was mid nov and only started riding again in mid Feb. It was frightening to see how 'week' the shoulder had become. Slowly increasing the weights, but it takes time.

Important thing is to be patient tho.

Thanks all

Patience is not a virtue of mine!!  The amount of muscle loss due to the two weeks on the crutches was amazing!!

swimming.... cross train it a bit. Forget about running and riding for now.

Focus on the flexibility around the operated area and try and keep fit with swimming.

Pool noodle running will also help with the movement with almost no resistance and pressure on the leg.

I'm no doc - but had similar problem with knee/leg/hamstring tendon - no operation though but rather take it slow and make full recovery than vice versa

I had my collarbone plated too. That was mid nov and only started riding again in mid Feb. It was frightening to see how 'week' the shoulder had become. Slowly increasing the weights' date=' but it takes time.

Important thing is to be patient tho.
[/quote']

The doc told me he wanted to put me on a stationary bike first, 2 Weeks before Sabie Classic he told me it was ok, I must just be careful? 3 Training rides and finished the 40km race in 3:12. It was great to be on the bike again.