Cradle Area Road Widening

DavidE373

Is there something wrong with the road 'extensions' that cyclists are still cycling across the width of the entire lane?

The past two weeks I have gone to Teak place and I must admit I have not been in that area for some time before this, to my absolute amazement there are what appears to be cycling lanes, used only by a select few who must be the intelligent part of the road community.

Even if I give a friendly hoot to give warning that I am approaching a group of cyclists I still have to go into the oncoming traffic lane to pass and then you have the odd twit (used twit in place of a much more suitable word which would have me removed from the hub) who has the nerve to give me a one fingered wave.

With all the posts about cycling safety, I must say, part of the responsibility falls on us to ride safely, this would include riding in lanes made for us or at least near the edge of the road, and not across the entire bloody width of the road! Angry

I feel better now.

The quality of the new cycle lanes vary from average to atrocious. The best surfaces are coarse and uneven making the lane unpleasant to ride in.

There is a section by the lions which has so many deep holes (yes, the tar is still new and black) that you would find it unpleasant even to ride on a mountain bike.

I'll do the coarse stuff but not the holey bits.

Add a group and the road is blocked.

Roadworks are still ongoing and I hope that soon they will fix this and put in the road markings.

As davem says, the widening of the lanes was done in as cheap a manner as possible and is hardly fit to walk on let alone cycle on.

I tend to ride on the edge where the white line used to be, as this is still smooth, the new section is horribly bumpy and not suitable for pleasant riding.. maybe on a mountain bike with shock absorbers.. but deff not on a road bike!

guess i should dust off my bike and go see for myself.

it's just really frustrating when you see the attitude of some cyclists out there, like they own those roads!

I have to agree with Mercury and Thug on the quality of the new section. We need some smooth road surfaces to encourage the guys to ride on them, otherwise they will just stray onto the smoother road section...

Guest Big H

Dit is maar die probleem as jy 'n "Uitkruipende Kontrakteur" gebruik ...... That is the problem if you use an "Emerging Contractor"...... Julius Malema's company had the same problem with abd quality work.

Complain in writing to Gautrans Regional Office. They are responsible for the work in that area.

....... PS .... are we allowed to say "Cradle" again??????

Shall I edit my topic to 'that area around the lion and rhino park then? Wink

Guest Big H

Shall I edit my topic to 'that area around the lion and rhino park then? Wink

......sssssssjt!!!!!!!!........ there be cattle prods and Landcruiser bakkies around!!!!!!!

Talking about the Cradle...... has anybody sen the minutes of the "great solution" meeting yet????????

Who are the responsible authorities on this?

I am happy to do some reporting of the poor quality? Does this still form part of Johannesburg or does it belong to another Municipality? I don't think a call to Joburg Connect is going to get any joy but if any of you have more specific contacts, I will take up the issue.

Has this been addressed by the "Cradle Committee"? I understood they were talking to all stakeholders including roads officials.

Since the whole issue was taken off line, we actually are more in the dark.

On the good side, the new traffic circles look well made. The roads are 70% there but just need the final top surface to make them usable.

Guest Big H
Who are the responsible authorities on this?

I am happy to do some reporting of the poor quality? Does this still form part of Johannesburg or does it belong to another Municipality? I don't think a call to Joburg Connect is going to get any joy but if any of you have more specific contacts' date=' I will take up the issue.

Has this been addressed by the "Cradle Committee"? I understood they were talking to all stakeholders including roads officials.

Since the whole issue was taken off line, we actually are more in the dark.

On the good side, the new traffic circles look well made. The roads are 70% there but just need the final top surface to make them usable.
[/quote']

Last time I went through the traffic circle just after Teak on the way to Lion nad Rhino I thought the geometrics were abysymal and dangerous. Is it better now that it is finished?

"the widening of the lanes was done in as cheap a manner as possible and is hardly fit to walk on let alone cycle on" vertaal na goeie Afrikaans dis *** vakmanskap""

Guest Big H
"the widening of the lanes was done in as cheap a manner as possible and is hardly fit to walk on let alone cycle on" vertaal na goeie Afrikaans dis *** vakmanskap......... gedoen deur uitkruipende kontrakteurs wat niks of geen ondervinding het in die bou van paaie nie...... heel moontlik een van Malema die Moordenaar se firmas.""

Verskoon asseblief my voorbarigheid dat jou skrywe verander het.