Assistance with buying hr monitor

Flowerpower

You will need to be more specific as to what you want from the HR monitor. Are you using it solely for cycling or for running as well? Do you require altitude, cadence info ect. Do you want to down load the info onto your computer for later reference? Once you decide on these few choices, you will find someone who will assist you with a wise choice

Thanks Hector.

I will only use tit for Cycling. Yes downloading info is important too. at this stage the other is not of importance.

Thanks Hector.

I will only use tit for Cycling. Yes downloading info is important too. at this stage the other is not of importance.

I must try that too, I've obviously been doing it wrong and haveĀ been using Octane for cycling. Your suggestion sounds way better Tongue.

The only down side of Polar is it can only be serviced in Jhb, so it's a schlep getting to a PO and posting it off and waiting days before you get it back. Don't know if Suuto can be serviced by a any watch shop?

What's the price on those two? If they go for R3500 or there abouts, I would rather go for the Garmin 500 then.

Ā 

The only down side of Polar is it can only be serviced in Jhb' date=' so it's a schlep getting to a PO and posting it off and waiting days before you get it back. Don't know if Suuto can be serviced by a any watch shop?

[/quote']

Ā 

Suunto is also not the easiest. The agents are based on JHB but none of the watch shops can service them, instead the units have to be sent in to the agent which takes time.

Ā 

The agent has also recently changed from Manex Power & Marine to Bushnell, the service I got from Manex was excellent but I'm not sure what the new agent is like (let you know next week, my T6 went in yesterday).

Ā 

How is the Garmin's battery life Para? I know the Polar's will last about a year when you ride 5-6days per week whole year.Ā 

Garmin battery life is excellent. If you only want to use it for cycling, I'd go for the Edge 500.

Sorry Marius I don't know. But some say it is better then the 705 and that was an improvement on the 305.

How is the Garmin's battery life Para? I know the Polar's will last about a year when you ride 5-6days per week whole year.Ā 

Ā 

Battery Life is good.

I have not tested it to the extreme but riding 6 hours on avg before I recharge and that takes about 10-15% of the battery life......

Info recorded speed, cadence, hr, elevation, temp and power.Ā  Thus a LOT of functions running for my 20% battery life!!!

Ā 

Ā 

What's the price on those two? If they go for R3500 or there abouts' date=' I would rather go for the Garmin 500 then.[/quote']

Ā 

Much agreed.

I have now been riding a little over 10 years with Polar and got my Garmin 500 about a month ago.

NICE little gadget!!!!Ā  And it works with ANT+ thus you can get a power meter at a later stage and just add on.

Ā 

As for functionality.Ā  You get up to 8 different info readings on your screen at ONCE.Ā  I quite like that!

The only drawback at this point in time is that software.Ā  Garmin is not good in that regard unless you use their online facility.....that is not bad.Ā 

Alternatively you can use Sportstracks or Cyclingpeaks.

Ā