Prices and your LBS

MTBer

Hi there, please dont get me wrong, I am all for supporting my LBS but I need to replace my XT bottom bracket cups. I called my LBS and was told it would cost R300 a side. I checked on Chain Raction to make sure I had the right pieces I was looking for and they are being sold for R260 for the set, I know i will still pay postage and a bit of duty but it is going going to be double. I was also told that the agents do not import XT as the price difference between XT and XTR is R10. Which I am not so sure off.

I do want to support local and help employment, but at the end of the day I also want to help myself and keep my costs down. I am not sure who is adding to the price.

We have also not heard anything more about the price fixing in the bike industry.

20100317_044012_BB1.GIF

so that will cost you about R450 at the end of the day.....your call if you're patient.

can you fit it yourself? otherwise you'll look a chop going back to the LBS to have it installed......

Alternatively post a wanted ad for a group order to get free shipping and you'll have it landed here for R300, pay someone R25 to fit it and you can get your bike serviced by the LBS for free (sort of). That way you're winning and still supporting the locals (if that's what you really want to do)...

Stop being a cheapskate. Walk into your LBS, chances are they will fit it there and then, and go ride that same day. Or you can order online, wait a few weeks, get your paws dirty and go for a ride then.

Sorry, forgot my point. That is the value that the LBS has added. And they surely deserve something for adding that value eg maybe 80 bucks profit on the BB cup set.

Sorry' date=' forgot my point. That is the value that the LBS has added. And they surely deserve something for adding that value eg maybe 80 bucks profit on the BB cup set.[/quote']

That's what I was saying, if the only value they add is offering labour then pay them for that (I know I do, not much of a mechanic)... Ppl in JHB think of CWC as a "LBS". That's exactly the same as ordering from CRC, it just happens to be a South African store instead. It isn't convenient or anything, it just happens to be cheaper.

I don't know who is ripping off South Africans (wholesaler or retailer), but I do have an idea of what the landed wholesale cost of bike parts is and I guarantee you someone is ripping you off horribly and you are publicly supporting them.

Look at the XT BB cups for example. Assume CRC's price is wholesale price (theoretically it has to be more as they are making a profit presumably). I can order from them and land it here for R300. That means there is more than 100% mark-up on that cost before it reaches you. Are they really adding that much value to you? Even you only said R80, not R300!

Anyways, old debate... been killed... we're all entitled to our own opinions and our own methods. I'll order from overseas, you order locally. Without you, I would have to learn to service my own bike as there wouldn't be anyone to do it so I can't really say you're wrong! Wink

Oh wait, I see MTBer is in Gauteng - I now understand.

In the Cape I find prices so competitive that I've only needed to order one item from CRC (chainset for R80!). With CWC and even the Joe average LBS, pricing is good down here.

Heck I even got my Park Tool floor bump and BBQ-3 for way cheaper here (Williams) than on CRC, as in way cheaper!!! And I did not have to wait.

I must agree totaly i think LBS are ripping us vaalies a new one. please believe mean online shops are makeing a profit as well and there prices much lower than the shops. Food for thought ? 

so that will cost you about R450 at the end of the day.....your call if you're patient.

can you fit it yourself? otherwise you'll look a chop going back to the LBS to have it installed......

Why will you look like a chop ?

I could have  spare bicycle parts in my garage that I need fitted when they break. When I need the work done, I take it in to the shop with my part . I have never had a problem.

I could buy parts off the hub too, and then I need them fitted, which I have done.

Hey Mtber. I have a brand new BB as you are looking for. I bought a new XT Crankset and it came with it. I can sell it to you for R400. Issue here is I live in CT. If you can find someone to take it back to Gauteng for you it is yours. I am doing the Epic next week so can even ask the guys there to take it back for you. Just buy the tool to change your BB and you will save $$ in the long run.