Centre lock versus bolt lock

phemanderac

OK, so my technical knowledge is severly limited, as will be evident from this post. Fortunately the finer details of knowing how a bike works is not too

much of a requirement for riding them :-)

However, now that I want to start to possibly chop and change some components and get extra wheels and stuff, I need to know a bit more so that I actually know exactly what I am doing. Have to start knowing this stuff sooner or later.

So first (of possibly many) embarrasing question(s). What is the difference between a centre lock and a bolt lock wheel? How do I know which one I have?

My bike is a 29er with a Fox shock. The "skewer" that holds the wheel to the fork just screws into the fork. It is one piece and not two pieces like my road bike's skewer. I don't know if that makes sense?? I want to get extra wheels but first have to make sure it's compatible with my skewer system?

So far I like these ... https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=79592&PID=1126340#1126340 but don't want to waste 5K.

Anything else I need to think of? I know I have to get an extra casette, extra disk brake plate thingys, tyres and tubes. I assume they will all be compatible.

Thanks for any advice/help.

20100317_053649_TECH_Rotor_type.jpg

all systems can use either.

I think you have a "bolt through" front axle. They are either 15mm or 20mm so you must make sure. If they are bolt through then those American Classics won't work.

@Mampara Thanks for the info. Still a bit confused though. Perhaps I should take some pictures of what I have?

In your case it does not matter whether the wheels are centre lock or 6 bolt. If you buy new wheels all you should be worried about regarding the rotors is that the size of the rotors on the new wheels are the same as the size rotors on the old wheels. If you want to keep your existing rotors on your new wheels, you would have to have rims with Centre lock hubs on. If you are keen on American Classic  wheels you would require new rotors.

You issue is not the brakes / rotors but the axle and fork setup. It looks like form the techsheet that your bike is making use of 15mm through axles so you would need a front wheel that has a hub that is compatible with that format.

I think I have heard that some forks can either run 15mm through axle or quick relaese but my knowledge of 15 and 20mm through axles are not good, maybe someone else can shed some light.

SteveS2010-03-17 07:47:19

I went to Amrican Classic's website and it seems as though the wheels Kiwi has will be compaitble with either Quick release or 15mm through axle

That Giant uses a 15mm thru-axle. So you can not use wheels with normal quick releases. Like SteveS said, that is your biggest issue, not the discs.

I am more confused than ever Smile

But thanks for the info. As I build up a better frame of reference it will start to make more sense.

Kiwi did reply to me and said I shouldn't have a problem. So even though I don't fully understand yet, it seems it should be ok if I go with them shiny  wheels.

It says there:

Fox 32 F29 RL-100, 15mm thru-axle, tapered steerer fork - so that clears the front hub up.

I can't tell from the specs whether the rotors are 6 bolt or CL type. I would guess that they are Centre Locks...

You need the Shimano Wheels, As far as I know Shimano are one of the few companies doing the 15mm thru axle hubs at the moment. whether the discs are centre lock or 6-bolt doesn't matter, its that front axle that will determine the wheelset