ODO meter thingy (GPS?)

JacoM

Hi there,

Would appreciate some opinions on what is the most cost effective thingy to measure/record/show/indicate the distance done on a MTB. I swopped road to MTB recently and have completed a few MTB races without any indication of distance travelled. The long route on this years Argus MTB convinced me do get some ODO meter before the next race .(Not nice when you are slowly dying and in need how far still to the end...get the picture?)

Is there anything availible , simular to cable + pic-up for road bikes that will last in offroad condistions or is the GPS option the only option?

Regards
JacoM2010-03-17 08:56:22

have a look at the Navibe mercury 100 GPS unit i am using one and am very impressed so far i think they sell for about R1200 it gives you speed, distance, total distance, temp, direction, you can add way points or track your route using the GPS and then download onto google maps/earth i think its probably the best unit for that price oh yes and its water proof

the agents are Supersport cycles im sure they can put you in contact with a supplier close to you

20100317_085936_Bike.jpg 

Had a Sigma DTs 1106 wireless no problems on the MTB in all conditions

(R800)

My son has had the standard Sigma 1106 with a wire still perfect

(R300)

Got to agree with  spinnekop though the Garmin 500 is great value for money very happy with mine so far  

(R2600 incl of HR and cadence)

I think its one of the best things I have ever bought so easy to use data ranges are great and Garmin connect is great to look at your ride and routes very very impressed with it you wont be dissappointed

Awesome to hear! Want to take my training more seriously so need to upgrade from the bare stem I have now! Would rather get one unit that has everything once off Thumbs%20Up

Jaco, it all depends how much you want to spend.

I started off with a basic computer, RavX (R200), and this was perfect for the first 6mths. It still works. You get similar quality for as little as R100 new.

Next step is Cadence (more important than GPS) but we the consumer get ripped off. Your looking at R500 (if your lucky) to R800 for a computer with cadence. I got mine off the hub for R350 (new Cateye).

Next step is HRM + Cadence, now your looking at > R1000.

Then you go > R2500. GPS, HRM, Cadence, etc  and here you can spend up to R8K.

So if your not spending > R1000, then spend R200 on a basic computer.