Why do I keep doing the Argus?

Wobbles

I have done 3 and it is not an enjoyable ride. My first one was in 2001 on the Detour route from the OE batch. I was pushed off the road 5 times and could not cycle up Ou Kaapse as we had all come to a standstill as bikes were spread across the road.

My next one was in 2009 - need I say more!!

This year it was promised that the wind would not be a factor - I thought gusts of 55 knotts was a factor? And the undisciplined riders!! Starting from the W group there always seemed to be slower riders in front riding all over the place - the seeding for this event is not good.

I wa going for a 3:30 and as we left the start and had to get off our bikes to push, I thought there goes my Goal again. I was proved right.

As mentioned in another post the finish was not enjoyable with all that constuction and unlike last year, we did not go to the beer tent as it was an awfully long walk on cleats from the bike park on hard surfaces. What were the organisers thinking? Put the bike park next to the beer please!!!!!!

Why do I ride this "race"? I am not good enough to contest a place and the weather plays too big a role to set any meaningful goals.

The main reason is the whole Cape Town experience and the camraderie within our group. The beautiful scenery of sea and mountains, the friendly people and the great restaurants and pubs make it all worthwhile!! The new refurbished airport is also awesome.

See you next year Cape Town!!!!!Smile

Unless you're way up front with the very serious riders, don't try to 'race' the Argus. Just ride it for pure fun. Enjoy the scenery, the people, the water tables and the whole festive scene ... and you won't be disappointed.

looking forward to seeing you achieve your 3:30 next year Wobbles, I too have not had a good Argus yet. Lets start praying now already for good weather. I kinda wished the Argus was a week earlier as the Sunday before was a perfect day for the road event.

If the Argus is on the 11th or 15th of March we will have good weather.

Go look back at the previous dates and you will find that is the perfect dates for the Argus.

Hahahaha, do what I did, started in T, 18Kg MTB, cruised the whole route, really enjoyed the ride for once.Smile

this was my first argus and I must say that I liked it very much, I don't care about how the finish looks, or where the beer is, neither do I care about the weather. I just like rriding my bike and seeing good results. getting a good time doesn't say anything

You know what? the wind blew again. Is that the worst thing that can happen...Yes my time goal was also shot to pieces, but there is more to the argus than time...firstly an improvement in overall position can still be compared as everybody is ridin in the wind. Secondly, you should draw enjoyment from passing other backmarkers and slower riders. Next year if you get a better seeding you wont have that problem. This is my second argus, 2009 and 2010, but I'm not complaining...I find it hilarious how since I've started we've had the 2 most windiest arguses in history. Just suck it up and enjoy the day!

You know what? the wind blew again. Is that the worst thing that can happen...Yes my time goal was also shot to pieces' date=' but there is more to the argus than time...firstly an improvement in overall position can still be compared as everybody is ridin in the wind. Secondly, you should draw enjoyment from passing other backmarkers and slower riders. Next year if you get a better seeding you wont have that problem. This is my second argus, 2009 and 2010, but I'm not complaining...I find it hilarious how since I've started we've had the 2 most windiest arguses in history. Just suck it up and enjoy the day!

[/quote']

So it's all your fault that the wind blows during the Argus - about time the truth came out LOLLOLLOLLOL

argus is not a race.  But if you want to race it, follow the following tips:

one, ride the seeding races (this helps with your seedings)

two, ride other races and keep the results as evidence, for a fee they will reseed you up if you can show that you are stronger than your seeding group.

three, get a ride partner in your group that is slightly better than you, to act as your lead out on the first half of the route, in this way you can get a better line through the crowds.

four, start at the front of your start group, this is where all the guys who are strong start.  they have better rider discipline and skills, and will be more willing to work together to get away from the crowds and through any blockages.

five, get your climbing legs on for the second half of the race (ride).  Here is where flying up the ride side of the road will work.

six, downhill.  you must ride away from the crowds on the down hills. 

seven, take your own provisions.  stopping at refreshement stations will add at least 10 minutes per stop.  Two bottles and a few GU's should be enough for a sub 3:30.

good luck for next year

argus is not a race.  But if you want to race it' date=' follow the following tips:

two, ride other races and keep the results as evidence, for a fee they will reseed you up if you can show that you are stronger than your seeding group.

three, get a ride partner in your group that is slightly better than you, to act as your lead out on the first half of the route, in this way you can get a better line through the crowds.

four, start at the front of your start group, this is where all the guys who are strong start.  they have better rider discipline and skills, and will be more willing to work together to get away from the crowds and through any blockages.

five, get your climbing legs on for the second half of the race (ride).  Here is where flying up the ride side of the road will work.

seven, take your own provisions.  stopping at refreshement stations will add at least 10 minutes per stop.  Two bottles and a few GU's should be enough for a sub 3:30.

good luck for next year
[/quote']

Or get a racing license and start with the racing vets

argus is not a race.  But if you want to race it' date=' follow the following tips:

good luck for next year
[/quote']

Or get a racing license and start with the racing vets

dude, he only wants to break 3:30, not have his legs ripped off after 2 km.  Don't even consider getting a licence until you feel that you can go sub 3 hrs.

He doesn't have to race - just gets to start earlier, can leave at the back of the group but won't have to contend with the masses and slower riders. and will have better chance of doing 3:30

Ja, I am concerned about the way that seeding was done.... I mean Yes I started at the back of the seeded groups.. (WW), but was freaking supprised when I seen guys in groups that started ahead of me was pushing their bikes up hospital bend? Come-on now.. how could they have had a better seeding than me (okay.. only my 94.7 race counted as my seeding, and that one I done slow so I understand why I was at the back of the seeded group).. but guys pushing their bikes up hospital bend should NEVER have been in the seeded bunches.. they should have started on the Ox groups...

Was not impressed with the end either.... that we had to stop on the sand... that we had to walk so far to the bike park.. then had to walk so far to the beer tents..

But with all that said.. I will do it again.. I think its one of the nicest rides I have ever done ... Nothing in JHB area can compare to the views one gets on the argus.. I think next year I will just be doing this ride, stop at every water point, and just enjoy the views.. and this time I will take my Camera with.. I almost kicked myself for forgeting that at home (lucky my shoes was clipped in, cause it was a bit difficult to do that kick)

Just be greatfull you didn't do the 2002 Argus,

42 degrees in Cape Town that day!!!

I started in W as well, had a long day.

He doesn't have to race - just gets to start earlier' date=' can leave at the back of the group but won't have to contend with the masses and slower riders. and will have better chance of doing 3:30[/quote']

this is true.  But he will not be popular with the guys behind him though.

You know what? the wind blew again. Is that the worst thing that can happen...Yes my time goal was also shot to pieces' date=' but there is more to the argus than time...firstly an improvement in overall position can still be compared as everybody is ridin in the wind. Secondly, you should draw enjoyment from passing other backmarkers and slower riders. Next year if you get a better seeding you wont have that problem. This is my second argus, 2009 and 2010, but I'm not complaining...I find it hilarious how since I've started we've had the 2 most windiest arguses in history. Just suck it up and enjoy the day!

[/quote']

So it's all your fault that the wind blows during the Argus - about time the truth came out LOLLOLLOLLOL

Ok, I have a bike and some equipment for saleWink