Is there any performance to be gained-new wheelset

capeofstorms

Hi,

Iv'e got an entry level Shimano wheelset on my Scott S20 (105 groupset). I'm considering upgrading to the Eastons EA90 SLX wheelset which I constantly hear is great.

Is there any performance to be gained by doing this? Will my average speed increase? Will this assist in climbing?

Thanks
capeofstorms2010-03-18 01:15:20

Well, the Eastons will be about 300g lighter than the Shimanos. Saving 300g on a rotating part can IMO be considered a big upgrade.

The Eastons will roll smoother and being lighter, should climb better.

My GF has Eastons and I have RS-20s and the only thing that IMO is better on the Shimano RS20s are the bladed spokes. Other than that, I'm extremely jealous.

Yes if you are a proNo if you are a average Joe

I second that. But it does feel like you are going faster. It's all in the head. I think tyres might make a bigger impact.

Done some serious mileage on my Eastons with no hassles, stiffer wheels will always help your riding.

new wheels will help everyone.  THe bearings will roll smoother (ie less internal resistance), the weight gain will give you a nono second advantage over your competition, the bling factor will make you want to ride faster.

but in the end as an average Joe, you will post the same times but with marginally less energy.  (however, your sense of commitment will be greater and your bank balance less)

you cant really put shimano and eastons in the some sentance when it comes to wheels.

Why would it affect a pro any differently to the 'average joe'?

Surely that's like saying Schumi can go faster in a Ferrari than a Yaris, but I couldn't... What's faster for a pro surely must be faster for everyone? (except for things like disk wheels which us 'average joe's' probably couldn't get to spin fast enough to really work...)

I changed wheels and I could do the exact same ride by myself at a significantly faster average speed (a ride I have probably done at least 100 times in my life so not talking about a once off thing)... Maybe it is a mental thing, but the difference was very noticeable so something definitely worked.

Surely that's like saying Schumi can go faster in a Ferrari than a Yaris' date=' but I couldn't... What's faster for a pro surely must be faster for everyone? (except for things like disk wheels which us 'average joe's' probably couldn't get to spin fast enough to really work...)

I changed wheels and I could do the exact same ride by myself at a significantly faster average speed (a ride I have probably done at least 100 times in my life so not talking about a once off thing)... Maybe it is a mental thing, but the difference was very noticeable so something definitely worked.
[/quote']

the effect of riding in a bunch has a greater effect on Average Joe than on a Pro.  A pro will be always trying to attack, weaken the opponents or bridge gaps, and a great set of wheels will help him here.  Average joe is just riding with the bunch hoping for a better time.  THE wheels will not help him get into a faster bunch.

?

Surely that's like saying Schumi can go faster in a Ferrari than a Yaris' date=' but I couldn't... What's faster for a pro surely?must be faster for everyone? (except for things like disk wheels which us 'average joe's' probably couldn't get to spin fast enough to really work...)

?

[/quote']

A pro's body is as lean as it can be. He is as fit as he can be. So the with those two factors out the way the only place where he can improve is equipment. So if you still got place for improvement the equipment is not gonna help. So now you bought these R6000 wheels and you see your average speed increases. You lay off the bike for two months and where does that leave you, even further back then before the purchase.

disagree with you canaris.

i would prefer going up a big hill with mavic r-sys or easton SLX rather than plain shimano wheels.

i agree with shaun231, i swopped from the standard shimano and got a set of ksyrium sl's and it made heaps of difference on suikerbossie.

if it takes less effort to stay in the bunch, then surely Joe will be able to hang with a slightly faster bunch.

Wheels make a difference. I've had race wheels and training wheels for my road and mountain bikes for years, and I can feel the difference in accelleration and in free wheeling.

more pronounced on an mtb, granted due to not being in a bunch and the constant changes in pace, but riding carbone tubbies over my training wheels was also a big difference

Surely that's like saying Schumi can go faster in a Ferrari than a Yaris' date=' but I couldn't... What's faster for a pro surely must be faster for everyone? (except for things like disk wheels which us 'average joe's' probably couldn't get to spin fast enough to really work...)

[/quote']

A pro's body is as lean as it can be. He is as fit as he can be. So the with those two factors out the way the only place where he can improve is equipment. So if you still got place for improvement the equipment is not gonna help. So now you bought these R6000 wheels and you see your average speed increases. You lay off the bike for two months and where does that leave you, even further back then before the purchase.

But what you're basically saying is the average joe can buy R6k wheels and then he doesn't have to feel guilty about drinking more beer as he chooses to improve his equipment rather than himself? LOL If you take the same person on the same day with R1k wheels and R6k wheels, which ones will he be faster on? That's the basic question here and even you have said that the wheels will be an improvement (you're also saying you can get an improvement from training harder, but that's another question completely which hopefully no1 here doubts at all).

For the funrider it also isn't only about race times, they might just make it easier to stay with your friends out on the road or to do a training ride by yourself out to Cape Point or wherever it is you want to ride...

OK maybe we should make a distinction between EXPENSIVE vs CRAP wheels.  Inexpensive does not = Crap.

Yes if you have crap on which the hub freebody is sticky and does not work as it should then riding a brick will be an improvement. My understanding of the question is 'if I have a perfectly working pair of 1K wheels, will my performance benefit from a perfectly working pair of 6K wheels?' The answer is no unless you are a pro where the weight of your jockstrap make a difference.  Yes a ceramic bearing has lower resistance but will average Joe notice it in his performance?