CWC has complicated my CRC choice

RossW

Hey all,

I was going to get the Hope Hoops - Hope Pro II with 355 rims which are going for roughly R2559 ex VAT and duties so probably closer to R3220 and weighed in at approximately 1653g (stated) from CRC BUT CWC has now tempted me with the Fulcrum Red metal 3 rims all for R2995 and weigh 1853g (stated, CWC) while CRC has them weighing 1686g (stated). I think they are the 2009 version though as the ones on CRC are different and are labeled 2010...

So, in your very humble opinion, which should I go for? I'm aiming to drop as much weight as possible from my XT hub DTSwiss X455 current wheelset as possible. With tyres, Stans, cassette (complete weight) my wheelset is weighing in at 4460g currently which is making my Superlight a Superheavy!

CWCycles also has the XT wheels going for R2800, they are also a UST wheelset. In my opinion a proper UST wheelset that does not use rime strip etc is the only way to go.

Support our local LBS's if they offer valuye like Chris is in this instance.

That been said Hope Hoops are also the shiz, bullet proof, the hubs make a kiff sound and they look the sh*t. Ah decisions, decisions......

Ha ha ha, Mackie you telling me, decisions decisions ... I wonder if Chris could get Hope's in at similar price ??

Mampara, I didn't realise the fulcrums and fully tubeless - thought I'd be doing the whole rim strips etc. That is a bonus actually.

I got the Hopes and 355's, used the yellow rim tape and have been pleasantly suprised at how well it all works. And with the noisy "krrrrr" sound of the Hopes the takkie brigade hear you coming from a long way so you won't have to have one on those heavy tring tring bells on your bars Thumbs%20Up

And so they should be!

Betwean CWC and myself we are trying very hard to keep the business in the RSA ecconomy. Hopefully within time you guys will not have to take your money to CRC - which does nothing for the SA ecconomy!

Peter and Chris, I think you would sell a lot of Hope products if you brought them in at your usual good prices.

It's such a tough choice. I really want to support local LBS's and importers but those Hopes .... mmmmm, they're so nice. Of course they work out more expensive than the Fulcrum's ...

If one could get the Hope's with your choice of decent, light rim locally at around the R3300 mark I'd be there in a flash! I'm not sure how likely that would be though ...

My experience is always to get a proper UST rim as one always has a hassle with rim strips when it comes to sealing and also when you have a puncture in the field you are faced with unnecessary problems.  The same goes for using tubless tyres and not converted tyres.

And so they should be!

Betwean CWC and myself we are trying very hard to keep the business in the RSA ecconomy. Hopefully within time you guys will not have to take your money to CRC - which does nothing for the SA ecconomy!

Good on you guys. Do you have a catalog of some sort with your products, or do you only get them in in drips and drabs?

Yea, going completely tubeless with no tape etc and UST tyres is the answer I think as well. Just a pity about the weight penalty on running UST tyres ... Win in one area and lose in another. The Fulcrums at CWC are 2009 aren't they? It would explain the difference in stated weights between CRC and CWC.

I agree BIG Mac, it's great to be able to get goodies locally and support the cycling sector and SA's economy as a whole; with out dropping your entire salary at times.

I second the idea of the catalog - CWC has a pretty decent website which is easy to use and helps with knowing what is available.

And so they should be!

Agree with Peter here and can vouch that doing business with both Icycling and CWC has been pleasure.

With both purchases it was just small items (R500) but I got the best service ever.

355's are great as are hope hubs, that would be my first choice but those XT wheels are such great value for instant gratification.......

CWC has no more XT wheelsets - all sold out overnight no can say when will be in stock again. The site does not indicate this until you try and buy. Would be a good idea to get the site to show stock levels guys. I am all for buying local, but then we need good prices and stock levels we can rely on. I did get an XT chain and 11-34 casette for a great price tho...Thanks guys.