MTB in Hermanus

Mr Legs

I did a few trips from Onrus towards Hawston, over Karwyderskraal to Hemel & Aarde. I found a single track from Onrus (at the entrance to the R43 near the 7/11) that takes one past Hawston right to the Fisherhaven exit. No need therefore to ride on the R43 itself, except for about 1 km to the Karwyderskraal turn off. To get to the start, just lift your bike over the armco barrier about 80m from the stop sign and start pedaling towards Hawston.

I also did the trail from Fernkloof past Voelklip. Liked the last few k's, fast and free flowing.

I discovered some more single track today. I cycled over the wall of the De Bos Dam in the Hemel & Aarde Valley from Karwyderskraal and took the jeep track south. It turned into a fantastic trip with the path clinging to the mountainside high above the river. Ended up on the farm Volmoed, they appearded to be MTB friendly. There is a possibility of going further on the western side of the valley, will check it out another day.

I discovered some more single track today. I cycled over the wall of the De Bos Dam in the Hemel & Aarde Valley from Karwyderskraal and took the jeep track south. It turned into a fantastic trip with the path clinging to the mountainside high above the river. Ended up on the farm Volmoed, they appearded to be MTB friendly. There is a possibility of going further on the western side of the valley, will check it out another day.

Just about all farmers are "mtb friendly". Make the effort of greeting them and asking permission (even though you're already trespassing) and they are generally quite chilled. My brother has farms in these areas and the thing that irritates him is when guys come through, see him and don't even acknolwedge him but ride on as tho they have a right to be there.

• 2 months later...

The sad news is that the Western Cape gubbermint have plans to tar the rest of the Hemel & Aarde road up to Shaws Pass, according to the minister of transport it will happen this year.

In Hermanus at the moment until Sunday (early morning departure back to the flat lands - by comparison to what the Western Cape has to offer :D )You guys are truely spoilt for choice (climbs, technical, single/jeep track and scenery - amazing) Had a small glimpse of Tokai on a night ride as well, quite a drive from Hermanus - that ride ended off with us having a sprint after a mugger, recovered the ladies handbag, so ended well in the end and proved you can sprint in cycle shoes :D (so you have crime too)

On Monday headed out up Rotary drive and continued along the jeep track way above Fernkloof (found out where Fernkloof was per chance upon exiting, never intended to find my way into the reserve...)

Have subsiquently visited Hermanus Cycles (route they have mapped is very short) and Euodia Adventures (they showed me some routes on Google Earth, pretty much the ones covered in this topic).

• 3 weeks later...

Are there group rides (MTB) happening in Hermanus during the next 2 weeks?

Not sure when exactly I'll be down there but would love to join a group.

Are there group rides (MTB) happening in Hermanus during the next 2 weeks?

Not sure when exactly I'll be down there but would love to join a group.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys

Some of these routes sound fantastic. Does anyone have these rides recorded on Garmin or other gps format say GPX that I can download to my iPhone. ???

Tks Murray 083 461 5858 mgloder@iafrica.com

Hi Guys

Some of these routes sound fantastic. Does anyone have these rides recorded on Garmin or other gps format say GPX that I can download to my iPhone. ???

Tks Murray 083 461 5858 mgloder@iafrica.com

Murray i live in Hermanus and was pleased to find after using Endomondo APP that the Hermanus singletrack bike route is on their GPS map follow the blue dotted line. the bike shops also have maps... but you need to know the area to catch all the paths... otherwise drop by my shop and we can go for a ride

PM 20niner. He runs a bike shop down there.

And they're friendly as can be....and near a butchery with great biltong!!!

• 3 months later...

The guys at Euodia Cycles is busy marking a PPA approved permanent route which should be open from early December.

35km, 25km, 15km and 5km

• 4 months later...