SO JOBURG MUNICIPALITY IS STEALING FROM YOU

Baster Brak

So I own a number of properties in JHB and about 2.5 years ago I noticed this new charge on my Electricity accounts called Service charge, I took this up with them but got no explanation as to what this is for, then sort of forgot about it and then looked into it again last month to find out that this charge of R226.56 plus 14% vat is for them coming out and reading the meter. Now I then took all my accounts for the last 30 months that the reading was actually only taken 3 times per year, thus firstly we are grossly over charged at R258.28 (Incl VAT) a pop to read the meter that takes all of 30 seconds but I have been charged an amount of R7748.35 when they only delived services to the value of R3099.34, thus they have defrauded me to the extend of R4649.01. Now the company charging this fee is paid every month, regardless of wheter they have read the meters or not, and I am sure is owned by some politically connected cronnie who is being paid for not actually working, no I have a number of properties thus this cost for me no starts becoming significant, and if we take it over all the JHB properties it probably runs into the hundreds of millions being stolen every month.

I am planning to take legal action against the town council for this and if anyone is keen to get involved please pm me.

yeah, saw it too a few months ago, and no-one could answer.

that rate went up about the same percentage as the elec price some time last year.

so my electricity bill was just over R400 last month.

i'm paying 250 so that i can use 150.

no incentive whatsoever to use less energy.

am curious if this will go up again when the expected electricity charges go up.

Mine is R278 plus vat

What is this for - surely it should be consistant, and only if they read the meter. What happens if you read you own meter?

Do You guys pay per credit card at a supermarket? I think that is a credit card service charge. I now from experience if you pay more than R4000 by credit card they hit you with a fee.SteveS2010-03-20 10:43:38

I had my electricity dicsonnected on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend last winter for an unpaid bill (it was my fault - first time in 8 years, so maybe a phone call would have been nice..)

I was reconnected by a guy in a 7-series BMW working for a subcontractor to the municipality. His job was to push the on/off button on the supply pole outside my house with a long stick.

But to be fair, you cannot expect a guy to put a long ladder in his 7-series... might damage the seatsWink

not by credit card

it's on my bill.

the power rates includes 2% levy and 2% municipal surcharge.

this month:

usage: 182 units at .49380 = 89.87 usage

service charge 237.04

(excl vat)

My meter gets read every month and yet I still get an estimated interim consumption charge. I have mailed Jo'burg connect with no response. Daylight robbery.

What's the demand side management levy?

Hi gents,

Being a consumer is an invitation to get ripped off. It makes me mad.

Regards

Sarge

I just spoke to Cape Town City Counsel, about the Service Charge.

Explaination was as follows - if you are a Domestic High Consumer (above 800kW), you pay Service Charge.

No Service Charge for Domestic Low (between 400kW and 800kW).

Once labelled as a Domestic High, you will pay Service Charge even if you use less than 800kW per month.

To change status from Domestic High to Domestic Low - fill in a form (prove has to be provided of course)

My service charge is there in black and white on Jo'burg Powers 2009 tariff schedule. It applies to all 60a single phase users. Your rate per KWh is depenedent on your amount of usage.

As an individual you got no hope against the thieves . Join your local Tax Payers Union and see how quickly they sort it out

My latest Jhb bill says that "should you pay in excess of R5000 at any Easy Pay with a card ...you willbe liveied 3.5% Admin Fee"