wheel setup

Sloggy

Hey guys quick Q. Just purchased my first set of decent i hope wheels

my previous wheels were Alex XC 44 wheelset with mountain king tyres

Dont have a clue what the setup wheighs. My new wheelset are the XT wheelset. the decision is do i transfer the old cassete and tyres to my new wheels.Do i purchase a new set of tyres (UST) - worried about the additional weight and a nice cassete sram red. Basicaly asking whats the best kit to put on the wheelset for overall riding and weight

I dont know much about tyres, but you can either transfer your old cassette if its fairly light and still in good condition, or buy a xt cassette rather than sram x0. XT is lighter and cheaper.

prob not really that light came with the bike Shimano CS-HG50 so you recon rather go for an XT casette than the sram and then sell the old wheels as one unit whats the best rotors and are they comp with centre lock

I gather the wheelset is UST?

You can put a set of non-UST tyres on the rims - they work fine AFTER you've got them seated (although this bit truly sucks), but in my experience you're unlikely to get your old tyres to settle on the new rims. If you have used them a bit already, the old tires will have a lot of little holes that makes the seating job nearly impossible and you may be better off just buying new.

My approach with putting non-UST tyres on tubeless rims is to run a little extra sealant around the bead so that this sticks the tyre to the rim once inflated. I use OKO in the tyre and a cheap local sealant around the rim (don't know the name - it comes in a 70's looking yellow bottle). The reason for the local sealant is that it is much more liquid than most other sealants so it moulds in agains the rim really nicely. I learnt the trick from one Mr Ritchey's mechanic on the way from Knysna to Cape Town one year so it comes well recommended.

note - don't try this with hutchinson tyres. the bead tends to stretch and then fall off the rim. Works great with Mavics

GotThatInCarbon2010-03-21 05:33:28

Guest Big H

If your chain is still new use the same cassette..... you will not notice the difference. If both are old replace it with something new and lighter. You will still not notice the difference.

the chain wheelset and tyres are all about 3 months old and done about 400Km only on tar

the truth is the XT wheelset was an impulsive buy since the only entry level weight on my bike  was the current wheelset. So my choice is keep the wheelset and maby built up the tyres,rotors and casette slowly, move over the stuff from my "old" set to the new and sell the Alex or just be happy with what i got and resell the XT wheelset