Chainring wear - taken for a ride?

Willehond

OK, so I grind the big gear a bit, but my bike is less than a year old and the bike shop just phoned to let me know I need a new 53 blade (and possibly the small chainring too!).  How is it possible that it could have worn that much in such a short time?  I had no shifting problems!

I am slightly suspicious.... Anyone else have this happen to them?  SRAM Force ring if anyone is interested.

I think they are taking you for a ride. What about the chain and cassette? Are they replacing those as well?

Did you run your chain to post 1% wear?

Well I know some people live by the gospel that you replace you chains and blades if you ever go over 0.75% chain wear but I would get a 2nd opinion first on that.

Best go there and ask them to show you why it has to be replaced. Its easy for find some references on the iweb so you go there prepared, and its your call after all.

It's the same as every time you take your car in for a service to the agents they want to fit new brake pads. And I got fed up with LBS trying to milk me everytime I took a bike there for a service, perhaps there are some that dont, ?and dont want to generalise but ....

I think they are taking you for a ride. What about the chain and cassette? Are they replacing those as well?
Yip, cassette and chain too.  This I can live with, but the big blade???  Man, on my other bikes I've been running the same blades for years and no problem even though I've mothered countless cassettes.

Never trust a bike shop that has 'cheap' service rates.  There aint no such thing.

Could be. How many Ks have you done? what type of riding? clean and  Lube your chain after each ride?.

Guest Big H

When in the shop compare the old chainring with a new chainring. Excessive wear will easily be seen. Chainrings can take and handle a lot of wear before chain suck becomes a problem. I think they are trying their luck!!!!!!! Big H2010-03-22 05:37:19

Thanks guys, I thought so too.  I'll ask them to only replace the chain and cassette.  Perfect time though to order the compact crank I want...

OK' date=' so I grind the big gear a bit

[/quote']

Rule #3: He who spins...Wins.

Wink

SwissVan2010-03-22 05:28:57