Chains

Njaf

TongueHi i am preparing for a big race on my calendar this week but the only thing that makes me worry is  chainbreakage,does it happen a lot and should i get a tool(what type) or just dont worry about it

Pure chain breaks are very rare. You can twist a chain during an incorrect gear change either bending it or forcing it to break. Chain breaks also occur when a chain has been incorrectly assembled.

If you are unsure of what tool to get I would try and forget it at this late stage. Good skill to know but learn to do it properly. If you feel you need to get one get a quick link as well to join your chain. Get an old chain and practise a few times as well.

I have only broken a chain by putting the power on before the chain is properly engaged with the gear, or gears not playing the game... crunch and that feeling of pedaling fresh air.? Old chains also more vulnerable.

Most multi tools have a chain tool fixer goodie that you use to push the pin back in with a press: bit messy and a bit technical so get some practice. Easier option is to keep a SRAM Powerlink that just snaps it, but a chain tool is a good insurance policy as well. You might still need to get a half link out before using the powerlink, and thats what you need the chain tool for as well.

Only if you shift badly. I've carried a tool for the last 3000kms and havent snapped a chain once. I still think its a good idea to have one though.

A chain in relative good condition shouldn't break unless it is forced in some way that it is not designed to move in, otherwise if it hasn't been joined properly, namley the Shimano system with the replacement pins...I have ridden the same chain (in an experiment) for over two years and it didn't fail suddenly, the sprockets etc caused so much grief in shifting long before there was any sign of the chain failing.