Cyclist goes down..

milky4130

9am at the corner of Rosmead Avenue & Wetton Road in Kenilworth at the BP I witnessed a cyclist crash into the side of a Verso turning right-at first I thought WTF! but then saw the guy picking himself up & walking away. I hope you are ok Buddy. Guys be carefull out there.

Saw a girl lying on the side of the road on the way home from Jonkershoek on Monday.  Anyone know anything about this?  2 cars were stopped as well as a few cyclists.  She was lying flat on her back just off the road with her bike lying next to her.  Don't know if she was maybe hit by one of the cars?!

Needless to say, my mood on the way home changed, never nice to see a fellow cyclist injured.

Wow that's just around the corner from me. It's far to dangerous to be cycling in peak hour traffic...it's insane. We need to display common sense before we can point fingers at motorists.

Milky, how does a cyclist crash into a car turning right? Trying to see how this can happen with the cyclist riding in a responsible manner but am at a loss to do so.

I really Do NOt agree

I cycle in peaktraffic  JHB every day.

Wear bright clothing , have lots of lights and a mirror.

Look out for traffic

So much better than driving your gasgussler to work.

Common sense is not the strange mass participation of the usual, it is common insanity, you probably have not tried it the right way yet.

From what I could see it appeared as if the cyclist couldn't stop in time as the car was maiking the right hand turn - The Law says oncoming traffic have the right of way clearly this was not the case or maybe the car thought he could sneak through before the cyclists, misjuding the speed he was travelling at.

From what I could see it appeared as if the cyclist couldn't stop in time as the car was maiking the right hand turn - The Law says oncoming traffic have the right of way clearly this was not the case or maybe the car thought he could sneak through before the cyclists' date=' misjuding the speed he was travelling at.[/quote']

OK, I get you. The bike and car were going in opposing directions. Thought the bike was behind the car.Embarrassed

that's just down from where i live too.

We shud all start a book clubLOL

Why not a cycling club?

that's just down from where i live too.

We shud all start a book clubLOL

Why not a cycling club?

Who cares what club it is...Morpheus is bringing boozeTongue

lol.. i stay 5mins from kenilworth we are about 7 guys that cycle that side every sunday morning and wednesday afternoon.. (well Almost every)

It's far to dangerous to be cycling in peak hour traffic...it's insane. We need to display common sense before we can point fingers at motorists.
I love riding to work....it has to be during peak hours .. It is dark in the morning when I leave home... I am lit up like a christmas tree ...3 lights + hiVis jacket.... and you reckon I have no commen sense ?????

It's far to dangerous to be cycling in peak hour traffic...it's insane. We need to display common sense before we can point fingers at motorists.
I love riding to work....it has to be during peak hours .. It is dark in the morning when I leave home... I am lit up like a christmas tree ...3 lights + hiVis jacket.... and you reckon I have no commen sense ?????

Again, I guess a difference in opinions, I did some early morning training sessions in the summer and when it gets to 6:30/7am traffic gets so hectic that a) my session is interupted to a point where I cant accomplish my goals and b) the shear activity scared the **** outta me... e.g. taxis stopping, car doors opening, frantic changing of lanes etc. This scares me, if it doesn't scare you then I see no reason why you shouldn't cycle at these times.

I'm sure you are very intelligent...clearly you are doing what you can to reduce the risks of the road, but in my view you are still rolling the dice a bit(which I guess we all do when we get on our bikes, anytime). Let me just say I think you're very brave...I wont go on the roads at that time unless I'm desperate.

Saw a girl lying on the side of the road on the way home from Jonkershoek on Monday.  Anyone know anything about this?  2 cars were stopped as well as a few cyclists.  She was lying flat on her back just off the road with her bike lying next to her.  Don't know if she was maybe hit by one of the cars?!

Needless to say' date=' my mood on the way home changed, never nice to see a fellow cyclist injured.
[/quote']

Not sure if this is the same incident, but the one I know of did not involve a car. Apparently miscommunication and a touch of handle bars between 2 cyclists...

She has some stitches on her chin plus a few bruises, but was back at work today.

Ridin in peak traffic is da bomb. Take it from an oke that's done 3 1/2 yrs in London traffic - the taxi / car drivers here have NUTHIN on the white van men & london cabs & busses!!!!

At least you can sortof fathom what a driver is gonna do in the peak hour. Plus, you just carve thru them, jump a pavement if need be and get such a rush it's more than worth any potential danger! Plus, by the time the guys realize there's a green light, you're 3/4 to the whole way thru the intersection (if you're watchin lights properly and you don't miss the cleat...)