My 1st MTB???

scooby15

Looking at getting my 1st HARDTAIL MTB.

Been looking at the following bikes:

KTM ULTRA FIRE

GT AVALANCHE 2.0/3.0

MERIDA 40D

Love the KTM"S looks but GT quality better... any recommendations regarding a good starter bike?

I bought the GT Av 1 (2009) model almost a month ago, have done around 600km, problems so far have been the fork (Suntour, was replaced with another Suntour Mag 32 air and so far so good) and the bottom bearing was taken out yesterday and discovered to be knackered (Shimano BB). Failures that can happen to any bike in any price range I think.

Otherwise I love the GT, have not hammered it but I am large (110kg) and don't ride softly, no problems with the frame or handling, uphill or downhill.

If I were you I would rather buy a second hand bike. You would get much more bang for your buck, especially in that price range. Have a look in the For Sale section here.

The Merida is a great bike. Got mine a few months ago. Very happy with it but may be looking to sell it soon as I want an upgrade. Let me know if you're interested.

I would prefer to buy new; like the KTM but not sure of the quality; DEORE components; also not sure how far Im going to take the sport

The Merida is a great bike. Got mine a few months ago. Very happy with it but may be looking to sell it soon as I want an upgrade. Let me know if you're interested.

This almost always happens. You ride it for a couple of months and then realise that you should've spent a bit more, or should've gone second hand...

But I know, buying a new bike is nice. Just remember that if after a couple of months you decide to upgrade and sell the bike you won't get much more than 50% of what you paid for it.

But if you decide to buy new, compare the components of the bikes (ask for advice @ your LBS). If the components are more or less the same, just go for the one you think look the coolest! smiley4.gif

• 3 months later...

look at the KHS alite 3000, R9600 but look on the website what exactly you geting, cant get better for your money.

The problem with buying a second hand bike is that you are also buying someone elses problems.

hey

second hand not a bad idea, if u unsure about condition, have the bike checked out at your local bike shop.

i got a gt expert a few months back for 6k, x9 derailer, x7 shifters etc etc

now for 6k new in the shop it would of been much lower end components, + i was new to the mtb scene so with scratches and falling i didnt feel so bad as the bike a used one.

honestly for me, if i am looking to upgrade in the next few months ill go 2nd hand again.

Have you looked on www.obike.co.za there are some really good deals. The have GT, Schwinn and Mongoose.

look at www.khsbicycles.com and let me know what you like and i can send a price list through to to.