The officially unofficial Garmin thread

Weight Weenie

Hey all

Getting my edge 500 soon, so thought I'd start a garmin thread to exchange routes, tips, maps, workouts etc. 

Enjoy !

WW.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing I'd do is update the firmware straight out of the box.

Next thing is download Sports track 2.0 (ST2) and some of the plugins as well - 'Elevation correction' is pretty cool.

You'll need to use Garmin training centre or garmin connect to download your ride data (edge 500 doesn't work on ST2, because of data format) but you can then export this into ST2.

I also suggest setting elevation points as well - where you start your ride is a good idea.

I'm still learning, so anything else that anyone can share would be cool.

I've got an Oregon. I went for a 2.5 hour traiing course on how to use the unit and the software. Worth every cent.

I wanted a real gps and not an Edge as I want to use it in the car as well and I really dont need the HR function on it. The larger screen is a bomus as well.

Anyone know if you can convert a Google kmz file to gpx?

just loaded my local short 30km mtb loupe onto mapmyride.com so have look under pretoria mtb rides, my user name is mtber1988.

The DnD route is also there, does the edge 500 take tcx files to import ?

Hope so or this site would be useless then. Could not find concrete info on it, I know it records data in .fit, but can it still read .tcx ???

I got sportstrack 2.1, very nice, got a garmin plug that seems to replace the TC functionality, Much better to run one program for this than several imo.

Any other good programs or mapping sites to look at ?

Also does anyone know if I can export routes from mapsource to the edge ?

To my knowledge the firmware giving elevation and other issues (for me and some others) is the latest 705 firmware - not sure about 500's...

Have a 305 and the bladdy thing seems to have some battery connection problems... whenever I hit a tiny bump in the road (all cape town roads) it just switches off! Incredibly annoying as the unit only records gps data (route, accent/decent) for the time since the last power-on. Any advice??

Have a 305 and the bladdy thing seems to have some battery connection problems... whenever I hit a tiny bump in the road (all cape town roads) it just switches off! Incredibly annoying as the unit only records gps data (route' date=' accent/decent) for the time since the last power-on. Any advice?? [/quote']

Common problem with 305.  I had three with the exact same problem, Garmin eventualy replaced it with a 705.

Send it in to Garmin and have it replaced by 705  for about R900 if still under warranty, Otherwise migth cost you about R2000 for upgrade

Im chomping at the bit waiting for my 500, ordered it last friday from crc but the easter weekend is not speeding up delivery :(  Will call them tomorrow to see if its in sa yet. 

Glad to report that garmin have released a 2.30 firmware update for the 500 that totally changes the way it writes data, so lost data should be a thing of the past.  NB UPDATING IT WILL REMOVE ALL USER SETTING IE WEIGHT AND SCREEN SETUPS !

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4715 heres the link but you need webupdater to get it

Batt life looks good on the 500 after 8 hours and 4 min it had only used 41% of the battery life so 18hours plus on a single charge as claimed looks to be possible

great to hear, are you gonna try the new firmware ? Hope it sorts the data loss issues.

Oh and do you use mapmyride or such site crasher ? Ive uploaded my local loop to the site and I see gman has a few there as well. 

I have not updated to the latest firmware as my unit is working perfectly all my data is good and have not lost anything so as long as that continues I see no point in upgrading as I strongly believe if it is not broke dont try and fix it.

I am just using garmin connect and trainer at the moment to review data

I am in the process of mapping our sunday rides as we want to combine some parts of our diff routes to make a 100km set ride once I have the routes then I will get a bit more involved with the software side of things as will need to create and upload the ride

Cool, but do try sports track(its free and much better than garmin training centre) and mapmyride for mapping rides.