Bent hanger - a thought

dollar

The wife bent her derailleur hanger in a big fall. I managed to straighten it but I suspect that I am going to need a new one soon. Problem is that it's a lightspeed type hanger that needs to be imported at R250 a pop. Now if my old Dale hanger gets bent I am in big K@K because it's part of the frame!

This got me to thinking that it may be a plan to replace the mounting bolt with an aluminum one? Probolt sell them. The current chromed bolt - mild steel, is far stronger than it needs to be and maybe the alloy bolt will break off on a fall? Will be easy to get the broken part out.

Has anybody tried this? What do you think?

Really doubt you can do that. You dont have much of a lever on the bolt itself. I reckon if you strengthen the hanger and put in a softer bolt all you will do is bend your derailleur in a mishap. My 2c.

No - I am talking about the fat little bolt that bolts the RD to the hanger. M10x1.25 I think. It looks like it's part of the rd.

Guest Big H

Make your own dropout hanger. I am not a trained craftsman but after bending the hanger on our Tandem I made my own one. Sukkeld for many years to get one only to find a box full in Anton's shop at CycleHouse in Pretoria North. I bought six as our MTB Tandem uses the same frame. 

An alu bolt won't solve anything, the hanger is designed to bend or break before the derailleur, same as a helmet breaks before your head, so just get a new hanger and a spare for when it happens again...

If by Dale you mean Cannondale then it must be an old one cuz I had an R800 that was made in 1992 and that had a replaceable hanger...

'Part of the frame hangers' dont have to be such a problem. I had a hanger on a OCLV raod frame brake.

Sold it to a friend for cheap, he took it to someone who made it a replaceable hanger fram for him. he still rides it six years later.