Whats your opinion on S.A. Suppliers??

MobileBikeTec

Please give your view on my scenario....

I've got my own business going and loving what I'm doing, the only bump in the road is that S.A. product suppliers wont supply to a business if you dont have a showroom floor....

I would understand if it is bikes, all well and good, but I'm talking spares, cables, cable ends, chains cassettes etc... I'm not asking for an account, C.O.D only, nut they wont do it?! I even said I'll put branding on my car for the products!

The way I'm doing it now is through one of the shops in JHB (wont mention the name, coz suppliers will give him a mouth full) I get all my spares through him at a good price, and all the bikes I sell then I just send my clients directly to him.

I just think the S.A. suppliers is missing the wagon, and the smaller guys just go straight to Chain Reaction Cycles....

Thanks

Juan

Mobile Bicycle Technix

Even some of the bigger retailers are going straight to CRC.

I showed one LBJ the ropes one  Saturday afternoon a month ago, as he placed his first order with them.  

He is now doing a weekly order of about R10 000.00 with CRC.

This LBJ is choising the items which save about 30% or more on the Local suppliers price. He has another saving on courier costs, as CRC is direct to the local PO at no cost.

Haha welcome to the trade, been down that road, found loopholes, bob and weave, bob and weave...

Little Brown Jobbie in Birding terms' date=' but should be lbs :) [/quote']

That's what I thought!

That is very short sighted of the supplier. By supplying you they could make some extra income which is a good thing given the current financial situation as well as CWC/CRC competition. One would think that they would take whatever business they can get their hands on.

As an unqualified back yard mechanic I sense your frustration.  As a highly qualified economist I can't believe the stupidity of whoever is trying to control the trade - it can't work long term.  As Techguy says you find loopholes, I find loopholes he supplies me, I supply him (and anyone else in need) and before you know it we are in the supply business as well!

CRC is great because they are reliable and cheap but they are by no means the only source of parts.  From necessity other options will be considered and exploited and where will the local suppliers be then?

I wonder how many of the 400 000 odd bikes sold in SA each year are serviced at a show room compliant retailer?

Suppliers wake up.

I've gotten past being frustrated, as because where I am based now is down the road from a branch of a chain store and I can't get certain brands in because people will complain, I have also been told by a supplier that they won't supply me as they don't want to dilute their brands...?

Its protectionism: keeping the little guys out, and nice and cosy to keep prices high. Thankfully on-line shopping means we as consumers dont have to pay the premenium for showroom rents.?

IT industry used to be like that, back in the day ..... ?

How about talking to CWC?

Common problem in SA and not found only in the bicycle industry. To try and protect their monopoly (read price ripoff) some motorcycle distributors actually refuse to sell you spares if you did not buy through a valid dealer (grey import). They will ask the VIN and if it was bought grey they won't sell you a spark plug. Idiotic if you ask me.  

The same thing happens in Europe, I worked for the biggest cycle industry distributor in the UK and they had the same policy.

As a by the by, I live in Australia and have found it cheaper and that is inclusive of postage to buy from CRC. Don't think that just because you live in SA that bike products are expensive. Everything here relating to cycling is at a premium price and that is mostly due to distance.

Want cheap products we need to live in Europe or Tawain.

Another online store to look at is called: www.bikesomewhere.com

it is an American site so not sure if they post to SA

Juan the suppliers are nuts and hopefully you can get some sense into their heads over time.  in the meantime please just keep at it because with many cyclist with little time and who have run out of patience with the crap service by the bike shops, youve really got a good thing going. 

The better the service the less price sensitive I get and if I have to pay a few bob more for a cable but know it will be installed properly it does the trick for me

I agree with Kupe, cycling is a luxury for most of us, there is a lot of people who have to cycle to commute, but to us it's a luxury so the goods are imported as such, I have a friend who moved to Oz to "escape the crime" and guess what? his house got broken into there too! Its not just us in this predicament.

One supplier asks for the serial nos when ordering parts in an attempt to stamp out grey imports but guess what? you can order spares for their products from any half decent onlilne shop...