Road Biker Road Rage

katot

The other day I was sitting at the robot at Distell as you enter Stellenbosch.

A roadie came pass and we saw him swerving into the road. At that very moment a Taxi came by and had swerve into the next lane to miss him. Luckily nobody in the next lane at the time.

Then we came pass and again the guy swerved in before us as if the road belonged to him. So, I hit the hooter, and suddenly the guy goes totally ballistic and starts swearing and want me to stop so that we can sort thing out.

I am obviously a cyclist myself, but this guy is giving roadies a bad name.

some people always think they are above the law and think what they are doing is the right thing and anyone else is WRONG.

you get them in all aspects of life.

Road users - cars, motor bikes etc

even get them in aircraft - Microlights , light fixed wing aircraft and choppers.

Some people break the law, believe what they are doing is correct and anyone trying to help then stay safe or get back in line is wrong and a reason fro them to freak out.

Its crazy...

Yes, and there is a fine line between guys who think they own the road and stupidity....

When we were half way up on chappies on the 14th, these two guys came thundering through on the right shouting: "HOLD YOUR LINE!!!, PASSING ON THE RIGHT!!!, STAY LEFT PLEASE!!!" Everybody else was rather quiet and I could sense that it pissed off more people than just me.

Lo and behold, we all passed the guys a third of the way up suikerbossie....mmmm

Damn and his probably the type that rides away when you stop!!! unless of course it was Big J then you need to run real fast.LOL

He was a roadie ? Well they do own the road , have you not seen bunches of roadies riding all across the road , jumping red lights , so yip does not suprise me at all

Katot - I sympathise completely. Had an almost identical incident and also posted a letter on this forum - "A different perspective", a lot of interesting feedback received and it seems the cycling world resents these idiots just as much for giving the whole sport a bad reputation. And yet it continues.

I read of things like 'protest cycles' etc etc to drive the road-safety point home. All very good to make a stand, but the change in attitude surely has to come from both sides.

To those cyclists who can think no further than the end of your middle finger and know only how to string a sentence of angered four-letter words together - stand up and be accountable for your reckless actions, even your fellow sportsmen are starting to hate your behaviour.

Guest Big H

Yes' date=' and there is a fine line between guys who think they own the road and stupidity....

When we were half way up on chappies on the 14th, these two guys came thundering through on the right shouting: "HOLD YOUR LINE!!!, PASSING ON THE RIGHT!!!, STAY LEFT PLEASE!!!" Everybody else was rather quiet and I could sense that it pissed off more people than just me.

Lo and behold, we all passed the guys a third of the way up suikerbossie....mmmm
[/quote']

I really hope you did not stay quiet up Suikerbosse and told them they were a$$holes and also why they were a$$holes!!!!!!!!!

That is not great behaviour and most likely not even a hubber.

But it is not only cyclists. All road user including runners. Just this week dad was on his way to work and passing Ferndale High School when a huge group of runners were running towards him. None of then made any attempt to move to the side. He had to drive into the oncoming lane to pass them. So it is not just some cyclists with bad attitudes but runners as well and motorists. Everyone needs to change their attitudes.

Yes' date=' and there is a fine line between guys who think they own the road and stupidity....

[/quote']

Just a question... what must one do if you would like to pass other cyclists? I have always thought it's safer to say "passing right". Why did this piss you off?

[/quote']

Just a question... what must one do if you would like to pass other cyclists? I have always thought it's safer to say "passing right". Why did this piss you off?

Easy- just cough really loudly and clear your throat as you come up to overtake. The more sensitive guys are less likely to take this personally, unless you discharge from your nostrils as you go past.

[/quote']

Easy- just cough really loudly and clear your throat as you come up to overtake. The more sensitive guys are less likely to take this personally, unless you discharge from your nostrils as you go past.

No that is not going to work... what is wrong with keeping left if you are slower and asking to pass right? This seems plain logical to me. I suppose its they way you ask as well...

If someone wants to chase up a hill let him/her? I still do not understand why the guys asking to pass are a$$holes? Even if they did do so boisterously, if you're in a rhythm climbing a hill you don't want to slow down and get going again for every guy plodding up on the far right so you make sure they know you would like to pass? Is it an ego thing?

The biggest problem with this situation is that us as cyclists would like to be treated with respect as road users but there is always a few idiots who will alway mess things up - Think about that taxi driver has a negative opinion about cyclists so next he gets in a 50/50 situation who's gonna come off second best.

mmm a roady.... possibly another offence also comitted that we don't know off

Clown

[/quote']

No that is not going to work... what is wrong with keeping left if you are slower and asking to pass right? This seems plain logical to me. I suppose its they way you ask as well...

If someone wants to chase up a hill let him/her? I still do not understand why the guys asking to pass are a$$holes? Even if they did do so boisterously, if you're in a rhythm climbing a hill you don't want to slow down and get going again for every guy plodding up on the far right so you make sure they know you would like to pass? Is it an ego thing?

Exakerly

Can't understand why its the guys passing who are aholes.

Problem would not be there if the aholes who are wandering about in the road kept left.Common sense.Keep frigging left!!!!