Commuting

Here's the scenario... we recently moved in to a new office park, and in a week or two the gym will be fully functional with shower facilities. I live 30km's from work, so I want to start commuting to work. It's 60km's training a day, 300km's a week!! I have a spare bike I don't really care that much about (runs 10yr old 8spd Campy Chorus) that I'm going to use (just in case someone feels the need to 'redistribute' my property).

My question, how do I pack my office shirt and pants so they don't crinkle? I'll be using a K-Way 33l daypack (nice and waterproof and sits comfortably on my back). Any other commuting tips?

Fatty, what I used to do is ride to the office once a week with enough clothes for the week.  Take 4 sets, bring 4 home!  Works GREAT!

I wish I had the commitment to do that! 60k's a day! You'll save almost a 1000 bucks on fuel! smileys/smiley32.gif

I just hate sitting in traffic watching the cyclists come zooming past. I suspect it will take me the same time on the bike as it will in the car. I have all the kit for wet weather riding in case it rains, and facilities to shower...so why not? smileys/smiley2.gif Oh and its part of my quest to shed another 8kg's!

Fat

Belgium bike shops have plenty of solutions to your needs,  PS roll your shorts up and dont fold them.

Oh and its part of my quest to shed another 8kg's!

Then you are definitely going to have to change your nick.

I ride to work everynow and then, and just take in my clothes the day before (or make sure I have a supply of clothes at work in case I decide to ride in).

Pretty much means I don't even have to ride with a bag on my back.

fatty' date=' where are you riding to from where?[/quote'] I'm heading from Parklands in Tableview to Kenilworth.

Take the west coast road, to Koeberg rd, cross the M5 (dangerous 100m) then through a back rd past Vincent Palloti hospital (still don't know how dangerous that road is) to Rondebosch common, and then through to Kenilworth via a neighbourhood back rd I know.

It's not the easiest route to navigate traffic, but the only other road is through Woodstock, and EVERYONE I know has been mugged there on a bike (including me)

o, dalk moes ek onder aan jou thread gelees het "WESTERN CAPE"

gedink dis te goed om waar te wees om so iets in JHB te doen

Hoekom ? Ons fiets vanaf Centurion na Sandton !! Wag laat ek dit oor vertel - Ons MTB soontoe .

Just as an aside, having just returned from China on business, you can buy a commuting bicycle there with a three speed gearing system for around $15.00 US.(ROUGHLY R95.00) and its actually not that bad, thousands of people ride them everyday to work and back and they never seem to fail.

amoryns, droster and i used to commute from rabie street - me to braamfontein and him all the way to alberton side. at the rate that my car-hunting is going, i'll have to start commuting every day.... empire road in rush hour traffic... what fun!!!! smileys/smiley18.gifsmileys/smiley2.gif

Just as an aside' date=' having just returned from China on business, you can buy a commuting bicycle there with a three speed gearing system for around $15.00 US.(ROUGHLY R95.00) and its actually not that bad, thousands of people ride them everyday to work and back and they never seem to fail.

[/quote']

Should we not send our Dep-President over there to investigate? Would do wonders for the masses in this country.

Eish it is a bad idea . How many $15 bikes would you have to put in the deal to make sure your backhand is worth the effort ? Anyway you would not really help job creation !!! Wjho wanna steal a R95 bike ?

slowpoke, I might be joining you on those commutes, I am thinking of starting to cycle to work (Jhb Central) every day, from Welties it is about 20k's.  Just need to fix/build up the mountain bike again as i dont want to use my road bike for this every day.