Products: Name and shame

Elvin

Every now and again I'll buy something that does not live up to their promise.

This might be an useful thread to caution buyers about bad products.

I'll start.

Slime Skabs Peel & Stick Patches

http://a1motoringltd.co.uk/prod_images/00/01/53/SlimeSkabsBikePatches20029.jpg

They simply don't work! Got a flat, got home, repaired the puncture with the skabs and inflated the tube a bit, placed it back into the rim, did everything according to instructions, pumped it up, left it over night, woke up the next morning at 4:15 am ready for my morning ride, only to find that the tube deflated! So went back to bed! Repaired the puncture a second time with the same scabs(the patch peeled of like a sticker) The second one seemed to do the trick.

Finally I was on the road again the next morning, only to puncture again! Got home, repaired the puncture with the skabs and inflated the tube a bit, placed it back into the rim, did everything according to instructions, pumped it up, left it over night, woke up the next morning at 4:15 am ready for my morning ride, only to find that the tube deflated AGAIN! So went back to bed! Repaired the NEW puncture a second time with the same scabs(the patch peeled of like a sticker) The second one seemed to do the trick

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE !!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to shame the product but rather the local distributor, Henderson Racing. They are the new distributors of Hydrapak?. Their bite valves have a lifetime guarantee and I took it to the shop where I bought it and they send it to them. They said it was not purchased from them as they have only had the agency a few months after taking it over from Pro-bike. After a bit of trouble they said they will replace it. It's been two months and they still have not send it back to the shop. The owner of the shop is even on the case and think the Henderson is now screening their calls. The shop now even gave me a bite valve from another manufacturer out of their own pocket just to keep me drinking, water that is.

But I contacted Hydrapak's HQ in California and withing 12 hours they came back to me and apologised and said they will send me one them selfs.

I read in an old MTB mag that although these work (not this particular brand but glueless patches in general) it is only a temporary fix and needs to be replaced with a glued patch when you have a chance? I was going to buy something similar till I read that.

I don't want to shame the product but rather the local distributor' date=' Henderson Racing. They are the new distributors of Hydrapak?. Their bite valves have a lifetime guarantee and I took it to the shop where I bought it and they send it to them. They said it was not purchased from them as they have only had the agency a few months after taking it over from Pro-bike. After a bit of trouble they said they will replace it. It's been two months and they still have not send it back to the shop. The owner of the shop is even on the case and think the Henderson is now screening their calls. The shop now even gave me a bite valve from another manufacturer out of their own pocket just to keep me drinking, water that is.

But I contacted Hydrapak's HQ in California and withing 12 hours they came back to me and apologised and said they will send me one them selfs.[/quote']

Thats pathetic. Its a bitevalve? If it were something expensive I could have understand if they gave you the run around. I hope the HQ shakes them up a little.

I don't want to shame the product but rather the local distributor, Henderson Racing. They are the new distributors of Hydrapak?. Their bite valves have a lifetime guarantee and I took it to the shop where I bought it and they send it to them. They said it was not purchased from them as they have only had the agency a few months after taking it over from Pro-bike. After a bit of trouble they said they will replace it. It's been two months and they still have not send it back to the shop. The owner of the shop is even on the case and think the Henderson is now screening their calls. The shop now even gave me a bite valve from another manufacturer out of their own pocket just to keep me drinking, water that is.

But I contacted Hydrapak's HQ in California and withing 12 hours they came back to me and apologised and said they will send me one them selfs.

I have had the same problem with my Hydrapak bite valve, but I have had a problem with the bladder connection breaking too. Can you possibly let me know who you contacted both in S.A and in California as I would like to make contact with them

I thought I'd catch up on technology a couple of years back & got sold a phoneless cord.  Look, i'm not complaining at the price but it didnt turn out helluva useful.

So i put it with my satellite dish mop.

Hey Elvin, cant comment on the stickers as I've only used my Park Tools ones on a mates bike and she converted to tubeless anyway but have you maybe checked the inside of your tyre for a thorn. The offending puncture causer is often left imbedded in the tyre and keeps repuncturing the tube. Just a thought.

Hey Joe, where did you get that satellite dish mop? Could do with one.

Those peel and stick patches do suck.

i use the parktool ones and they work perfect for me, going now for about 2months on 1.

label do state that its only temporary fix

Mampara, I have found with quite a number of big name brands - it's not the brand itself, which is worldwide and has excellent support, but the SA importer/distributor that give terrible service.

They are very fortunate that these are big brand names and people buy them because of the brand name and reputation worldwide, as NOBODY would buy them if the decision was to be made on the support and attitude of the SA importer/distributor.

Obviously not all the SA importers/distributors, as some are excellent, but there are a couple that just make you want to tear a phone book into bits LOL

Hey Joe' date=' where did you get that satellite dish mop? Could do with one.
[/quote']

They're just next to the glider engines and before you get to the right-hand-drive motorcycles.

I thought I'd catch up on technology a couple of years back & got sold a phoneless cord.  Look' date=' i'm not complaining at the price but it didnt turn out helluva useful.

So i put it with my satellite dish mop.

[/quote']

LOLClapLOLClapLOLClapLOLClapLOLClapLOLClapLOL

[/quote']

They're just next to the glider engines and before you get to the right-hand-drive motorcycles.

Classic!

Thanks for the laugh!

[/quote']

LOLActually, some gliders do have engines and I was wondering if sidecars on motorbikes need to be on a specific side depending which side of the road you are on.

i disagree with you. Iv never had a problem with those no glue patches. they allways seem to work for me.

Unless a product is really bad, some people will find it works well and others will hate it.

But with saying that it is always nice to hear other people opinions about a product.