PPA Seedings

Extreme

Would anyone know why we have not seen a PPA Seeding Refresh since Jan 2010 or when we are likely to see the next seedings released?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I queried this with the PPA and was told it'll be updated on (or after) the first Wednesday of April. This will include the Argus and the other races pre-March this year.

Last seeding update took place at the end of January.

They say there wasn't any point in doing a March one because there weren't any rides in March... Surely we pay them to do it with our membership fee? It isn't about when it's convenient to them.

Yeah, but Argus aside would it have made a big difference to have had your seeding updated after the end of January?

I'm pretty sure your Argus seeding was determined by then anyway. But you are right, it would be nice if it got updated monthly, regardless.

They say there wasn't any point in doing a March one because there weren't any rides in March... Surely we pay them to do it with our membership fee? It isn't about when it's convenient to them.

I totally agree .. if you say the 1st Wednesday of each month, then do that and not only when you feel like it ..

Not about the Argus or using it in a race. I use mine to ascertain my progress in training and cycling and therefore agree with the comment that we should be the decider if we use it or not. When you are new to cycling, the best way to judge your progress is to compare it against the results of others.

But that's what the race results are for! Yes, you can look at your seeding and compare it to what it was previously, but you can't compare your seeding to mine per se.

Anyway, we all know the PPA are a little lazy. ;)

The last seeding that took place was the race before the ninety niner. I've done 4 races without a re-seeding.

The next seeeding will likely take place on 7 April which doesn't give you much time to decide if you want to do the Malmesbury ride. I think I'll just give this one a skip

Such a big deal is made out of seeding...  Just go out and ride!  Reseeding monthly looks like a waste of time (and money).  Twice a year should be more than enough.  

the instructions on how you are seeded are up on the PPA website so using excel you could work it out yourself.

the instructions on how you are seeded are up on the PPA website so using excel you could work it out yourself.

How , may I ask ? Surely you need the index of the " latest"races to do this? You only see the index of races (races you have raced since the last seeding run) once a seeding run has been done.

the raw index is merely (your time/winners time)-1. then follow the instructions:

- compare all results of current race with index less than 30% to results in the base event with index less than 100%

- then regress the current race times on the base event times

- this gives you the beta and allows you to calculate the adjusted winners time

- lastly use the formula: race index = (your time/adj winners time - 1)/beta

obviously the way racetec does it they filter the data and might remove some so you won't get the index correct to the 5th decimal place but you get a very close approximation.

Such a big deal is made out of seeding...  Just go out and ride!  Reseeding monthly looks like a waste of time (and money).  Twice a year should be more than enough.  

Not all riders on the hub ride in the "A" group or are elites. For those of us mere mortals seeding does matter as the higher you seeded the faster you ride (get pulled by the group)

last year in the spring season there were lots of opportunities to just hide in the bunch due to the flat races. I'm quite interested to see how my seeding improves with the more hilly races i've done this season

I don't think getting pulled by any individual or group is going to help your cycling. If anything riding in a group low down by yourself is going to benefit you more.

I don't think getting pulled by any individual or group is going to help your cycling. If anything riding in a group low down by yourself is going to benefit you more.

That's exactly what i did for most of the spring season, you get a lot of fitness from riding alone but you don't get much experience with race dynamics and how to ride in a bunch.