Pushing your bike...

Racingsnail

Does anyone practice/ train pushing their bike up hills. A bit like paddlers running carrying their canoes.

It makes sense as you see even the pros pushing from time to time, so surely the middle to back markers must push even more. Even if the training does not make you do it any faster, it would mean that when you had to push your bike, it would be more comfortable and less stress on your legs.

Even though us backmarkers do a fair bit of bike pushing we DO NOT talk about it and definitly don't train for it as that is like admitting you push your bike !! But you do get a lot better as the years go by at pushing your bike so I suppose some secret bike pushing training should be ok .

This sounds like a stupid question, but I think its actually relevant.

I started running as cross training (something I NEVER did before), and after about 3 months rode Sabie Experience. There was one particular cobble section on a climb that was almost unridible, and even if you did ride it, you would waste ALOT of energy. I jumped off and found I could run much much faster than anyone around me could ride. I tried this a couple more times, when my speed dropped below 6km/h on the steepest of climbs I found I could run at about 7km/h. and I passed lots of people on those secctions and got to the top with fresh legs

I suppose once you get good enough, you dont need that anymore.

...Now that I've tarnished my name forever... EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

the only bit of advice for pushing is.... dont walk / run on the path, and put your bike on the rough edge... Rather put your bike on the smooth stuff and walk / run on the rough edge...

Eish Robrider! You certainly have! A sad day for you! LOL

I do a bit of MTB Cyclocross myself from time to time. Wink

Only Andrew McLean has openly spoken of this dasterly thing.  Most others just train for duathlon.

Pushing is an essential art for the MTB ers.

It is a exquisitely rare art for the Road-ers.

We don't drink pink drinks snail, and we don't push our bikes. Always keep it real.

I definately believe that you should practise carrying your bike. I had a problem in the Epic and had to carry to the previous water hole where the techie was. I did not know how best to carry, so I was very uncomfortable, and got many bangs. When you get a new bike, work out the best way of carrying it....

Oh, and I was fine with the pushing - gat the butt a rest....