SOMMERSET WEST MTB CLUB?

swoosh1973

Are there any MTB clubs or organized groups based in the <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Somerset west area? <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have been in SW for over a year and have ridden the Hottentots Holland, Oak valley Lebanonon>, Grabow country club. I have ridden Lourensford only in organized races. This would be a great place for me to do mid week rides?

I am an intermediate level rider and do 3-4 hour long rides and cover 50-65km depending on terrain every weekend per ride. I do both road and mtb but my preference is MTB. 

However I spotted some very interesting routes from Google earth by Steen brass dam! Don?t yet know who to contact to get permission to ride there? Can anyone help me out here with this one?

I am looking for new but challenging routes and can see loads of places from Google earth...but I don?t want to be trespassing private land without permission.

My options are:

Join a mtb club if it exists or get permission to ride from the land owners/authorities.

Joining a MTB club is always easier as one does not have to duplicate the asking for permission process but who to contact??

I see paarl has a riders mtb club, why not SW?

Cycle Addiction have a non-CSA affiliated club called the Basin MTB Club. Their primary focus is on organising and managing rides in Lourensford, as well as developing new trails there. They also organise weekends away, as well as some night rides during the week.

Contact the shop on 021 851 8021

• 2 weeks later...

Go chat to Pietjie at Helderberg Cycles, shop near Somerset Mall, he will point you in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo Ira, how you doing? Was also thinking the same thing while at Lourensford yesterday with wife and jnr hubber (Country market).

Those mountains are so beautiful, I just want to ride ... all night long :)