Cape-epic idea for the not so fast riders

Konaman

I think Kevin Vermaak should change the format of the race. He should have the race snakes starting together using a seeding system based on MTN races, and the next day the snails start together in a race of their own over say 5 days, and about 80% of the daily original route (not more than 60-70km per day). I am sure he will fully subscribe the B race too, and the infrastructure will be in place already, reducing the running costs to organise it. What do you think?

I think the race/ride idea is good, like they did with sani2c but I don't think the idea of making the distances smaller is such a good idea.

Let the Epic stay ''epic' so it's a challenge and a real achievement once you've done it. 

agree, an epic and an epic adventure ... keep the route the same, maybe slack the cut-offs.

Guest coenie

Why do they need to slack the cut-offs? To cater for 8 % of the field?

The Epic is just that EPIC!

No need for a change to accomodate the slower rider. You can either do the ride or not.

I can not take on the Transrockies / TransA. if I can not climb fast enough...so I do not enter those races....easy

I met someone who lost 63KG to do the Epic, and made all the cuts-offs and he had only been riding a MTB for a year....so anyone can do it.

I think that Epic 2010 was a fantastic route, and it you could finish it if you did the training, and knew a little about fixing your bike on the way.

The EPIC is that an EPIC race not a gravel travel...

Agree with you guys. Everything the same. Just different starts.

You don't want to lose someone's admiration for you when they hear you didn't do the complete/real cape epic.Smile

Guest coenie
I think Kevin Vermaak should change the format of the race. He should have the race snakes starting together using a seeding system based on MTN races' date=' and the next day the snails start together in a race of their own over say 5 days, and about 80% of the daily original route (not more than 60-70km per day). I am sure he will fully subscribe the B race too, and the infrastructure will be in place already, reducing the running costs to organise it. What do you think? [/quote']

You can do this at the moment....it is called Epic trippers

Guest coenie
Agree with you guys. Everything the same. Just different starts.

You don't want to lose someone's admiration for you when they hear you didn't do the complete/real cape epic.Smile

Then they should not enter, everyone knows what the Epic is about...and if they can not do it they should not have entered....or done the Epic trippers as I said.

I like your thinking Konaman makes great sense and as you say with the infrastructure in place maybe they could make it a bit more affordable

Agree keep distances the same and I dont see the harm in maybe having an extra hour each day to finish in

The Epic should stay the Epic - maybe just give a bit more time for the back markers. Otherwise we'll end up like the Two Oceans. Every second person does "Oceans", yet when you ask them how they found the Ultra, they quickly back track and say they only did the half...

I think there is a couple of options for him:

Firstly, and lets agree, the TT on day 5 makes a lot of difference in the race. For me, it makes it actually easier, you can recover the whole day and only worry about 3 more days.

The 3 night stay over in one place do not work. Yes, its more comfortable for the tent guys to not give the bag in, but that is not such a big thing.

You need spectators, and the only way is to sleep over in different towns at night

For me.. He need to go back the Knysna ? CT format.

The first year he can bring us home on the ?sea side?? of the big mountains ? Mosselbay, Riversdal, Swellendam, Bredasdorp, Oak Valley , Groenland etc.

The next year he takes you over to the ?binneland??, Wiillowmore, Oudtshoorn, Kammanasie, Barrydale, Montagu etc.

How much North can he go? I think the Ceres region is as far as he can go, unless he moves from Ceres towards Montague and move over towards Swellendam side (my guess for next year)

But for sure, if he don?t want the same routes again, Ceres should be out of the question for 2011

And lastly, seeing that he got so many people who wants to enter:

Why don?t he have 2 races in the space of 9 days.

Let the Pro Teams and category racers with some additional 300 teams start on the Saturday ? Saturday, and a Next race starting the Sunday ? Sunday. (or other way round)

Both do exact same route.

Can it work?

I think Kevin Vermaak should change the format of the race. He should have the race snakes starting together using a seeding system based on MTN races' date=' and the next day the snails start together in a race of their own over say 5 days, and about 80% of the daily original route (not more than 60-70km per day). I am sure he will fully subscribe the B race too, and the infrastructure will be in place already, reducing the running costs to organise it. What do you think? [/quote']

As stated earlier, the Epic is 'epic' and should be left that way. If you want to experience some of the route you can join the trippers. Alternatively, if you want to experience stage racing there are other shorter stage races that are probably more suitable for those riders battling to finish each day.

In it's current format it is not possible to have an adventure. In it's current format the race village is occupied for more than one night in each location. Shorter stages would require access to more land and access is already an issue. I am sure extending the cutoff beyond 10 hours and allowing riders to ride this long becomes a medical risk to those riders. You must also remember the support staff at water tables and following the race already have a long day. Making their day longer would not be fair (many are volenteers)

As nice as the thought is, it is just not feasible.

The epic is different to other races. Other races are tours. The epic is a race. One's training should be at least a 3month full commitment. Anyway, you need to be a slight racing snake to complete this race.

Please don't down grade the epic from what it is?

Join Day Trippers - you can choose which parts of the stage you want to do. You can even do the entire route, in fact, you can do the entire race if you like.

The other fact is that where in the world do you share breakfast and supper with world camps from different disciplines? Standing in line to dish up like you. If you do an adventure you won't be able to.

If you don't have the money to enter, then trust me - you won't have the money to train either. The training bit is the most expensive part of the race.