Please help with first mtb purchase

Nolmes

Hi, I'm new here, been trawling the classified section for the last week. I've put in an offer of 5k for a giant alias which seller has accepted. ( link attached)

I cannot view the bike as the seller is in bredasdorp in the cape somewhere. Firstly, is this a good option for a first time rider? From the pics it doesn't look like it's been used much. He says it stock standard except for the pedals.

Secondly, what is the best way to do the transaction? I've asked for his home landline number and work which he has given but are there any other steps I should take?

Thanks.

Nick

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-sports-bicycles-fitness-Giant-alias-W0QQAdIdZ195566371#

CANT SEE THE COMPONENETS let us know the componenets so we can make a more accurate assesment

Guest coenie

For a 1st bike it is a nice one, SLX RD, and looks like Deore crank.

However the chain looks too short, you might want to put a new one on.

Do the transaction COD. Will be the best for both of you.

Thanks for the quick replies.

SRAM x7 triggers and rear derailer, shimano m485 hydraulic discs, shimano deore class crankset with Octalink. Rockshox dart 2 with lockout. Etc.

Guest coenie
Thanks for the quick replies.
SRAM x7 triggers and rear derailer' date=' shimano m485 hydraulic discs, shimano deore class crankset with Octalink. Rockshox dart 2 with lockout. Etc. [/quote']

That is a shimano SLX RD, not SRAM, also it is not a Dart2 shock...you have the specs there of the OLD Alias..2006 model

Specs look alright for first bike. My first one was kinda the same. I've bought lots of stuff on the hub, but the expensive ones I went to pick up myself or asked someone to pick it up.  There's a lot of scammers out there, so make sure you have enough detail of the guy or if he's on the hub you can see if someone maybe knows him or something.

chain looks short a link or three,? its on the granny gear nogal, that RD is going to go horizonal once on the big ring :o

??

That's a Tora on there, much better than the Dart 2... Looks like a very good bike to start with and a good price considering the condition it looks like it's in... Just remember, cycling is a bottomless pit so it may be best to hand over all bank cards, cash and valuables to someone else to look after now. It always starts with that first R5k, then you see some wheels you like, then it's time for a little KCNC bling etc etc etc...

Thanks coenie, are they lower specced components than the 2006 model? Are they still decent?

Thanks stewie, will get all the info I can

Guest coenie

chain looks short a link or three' date='  its on the granny gear nogal, that RD is going to go horizonal once on the big ring :o

[/quote']

No, it is on the big ring in front.....looks like the 3rd on the back...

Long distance buying is risky for both parties so doubt you'll get someone to send it on COD basis... Maybe try and work something out to make you both happy like paying 50% up front and the rest on delivery or find out who they work for and contact them there (much less likely to get scammed by someone if you know they work for a reputable company). Basically, make yourself as happy as possible about the deal first, but accept there is always a risk...

I've done many long distance deals (with hubbers though, not gumtree) and never had any problems except for someone who short paid me R100, but that's a very minor issue.

Guest coenie
Thanks coenie' date=' are they lower specced components than the 2006 model? Are they still decent?

Thanks stewie, will get all the info I can[/quote']

I think the crank is the same, but the RD is lower than the Sram X7, and I think that it will have SLX shiffters on also, which is also lower than X7....but it is al a tiny bit...

SLX is still good componets...do a search on the web to compare Sram and Shimano...I saw a website somewhere that had the comparision...showing you something like this

X7 - XT

X9 - XTR

etc  I can not remember the detail

Maybe this can help

chain looks short a link or three' date='? its on the granny gear nogal, that RD is going to go horizonal once on the big ring :o

??[/quote']

No, it is on the big ring in front.....looks like the 3rd on the back...

Okay it is on the big ring, but something doesnt look right, look at the way the chain comes in on the top of the fd (thats what fooled me)

Found a comparison between this and a gt avalanche 1, the giant came out tops with the better components.

That's a Tora on there' date=' much better than the Dart 2... Looks like a very good bike to start with and a?good price considering the condition it looks like it's in... Just remember, cycling is a bottomless pit so it may be best to hand over all bank cards, cash and valuables to someone else to look after now.?It always starts with that first R5k, then you see some wheels you like, then it's time for a little KCNC bling etc etc etc... [/quote']

Ya, know that all too well, I pick the most expensive hobbies, marine aquariums, photography and now this, gonna have to rob a bank now.