Teams for all stage races, why?

LoneRider

To all the organizers and experts out there, please help me out with this one?

I have regularly entered many races over the last four years. Almost without exception they were a great experience, each in their own way.

As my fitness and experience level increased I became more attracted to the next exciting challenge. I wanted to enter a stage race. To my great disappointment I quickly found out that the only stage race I can enter as an individual is the Freedom Challenge. Not quite up to that one yet, being 48 years old.

It does not make sense. Mountainbiking is by definition, and tradition, an individualistic sport. That was until the pro teams entered the sport and it became just another peleton, but this time on a gravel road. Same roadie tactics and team stragegies playing out. If that is what pays the bills, good for you, but why on earth won't any organizer allow an individual to enter a two day stage race. All the support, safety and otherwise, and logistics are in place. The only difference is the lack of moral support and the farcical concept of drafting during, what is these days known as a mountain bike race.

Why on earth can't individuals enter stage races? We can be self-sufficient. Freedom Challenge proves it. Money and sponsorship is important but it should not be an reason to make the rest of us spectators.

I would appreciate comments on this matter. I am sure there are many different view points and, I'm equelly sure that there must be a many keen but fustrated people out there in the same position as me. Bring it on!

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Not always easy to find a partner of similar fitness/goals or not easy finding a partner overall.

There's also the Honda Trophy in gauteng that's individual. It's the first weekend in May. 2 day stage race. 80km and 40km.

Think I'll do that one as a first.

History, in the days of old there were very few entrants in these events with little or no backup. It was for security/safety purposes. You still have to carry a set amount of security/safety equipment.

Since then the races have been better attended and the safety and seconding is better.

However the team thing has stayed as it lends a very different dynamic to the races.

You have to manage your partner and him/her you.

Even with the big fields now days you could still be left out in the cold for quite some time depending on where your ability level is.

But the team dynamic is probly why it is still a team event these days. Speak to anyone that done one of these events and they will tell you that this is often the thing that makes or breaks a teams performance.

To my great disappointment I quickly found out that the only stage race I can enter as an individual is the Freedom Challenge. Not quite up to that one yet' date=' being 48 years old.

[/quote']

hi there lonerider

did you consider ride to rhodes? it's the first 6 days of freedom challenge - it's not a race, though - but possibly the best mountain biking you can get :D

To my great disappointment I quickly found out that the only stage race I can enter as an individual is the Freedom Challenge. Not quite up to that one yet' date=' being 48 years old.

[/quote']

hi there lonerider

did you consider ride to rhodes? it's the first 6 days of freedom challenge - it's not a race, though - but possibly the best mountain biking you can get :D

BUT joberg2c DID mention that THERE'S will the the best singletrack out there ... so i reserve the right to chagne my opinion about 'best riding' till after joberg2c ... and for promises of 'best singletrack ever' i'm willing to take on a partner Smile - even if it's kind of a 'blind date' ... Confused

Cradle quest last year had individual riders not sure if you can do it this year as an individual ?

... Not quite up to that one yet' date=' being 48 years old.

?

LR - at 48 you're still pretty young, dammit!

?

Why on earth can't individuals enter stage races? We can be self-sufficient. Freedom Challenge proves it. Money and?sponsorship is important but it should not be an reason to make the rest of us spectators.

?

[/quote']

Fully agree with the rest, though.

I think there is a place for both team and individual races and they should start some individual events as well. 

ill pm you' date=' lets leave the thread allone ;) [/quote']

So let me get this right, you guys are complaining about the team events and then you guys are teaming up at an individual event?Shocked

No I wasn't complaining, there is merit for both events. 

I would like to do a team events as I never have.  Im under the impression that this is a team event though ? Or is it individual ?