drilling holes in al. seatpost?

brussel

OK so I want to use two bottles on my anthem x frame. I have a cage under the down tube, but really don't want the crud on it, also I just don't like the location.

So I want to mount a cage on the seatpost. I've seen that minoura does a mount, and there are a couple of other options, non of which seem particularly effective. Saddle based options are not good as it makes it impossible to head over the back of the saddle.

I was wondering about drilling and tapping the two required holes in the seatpost. The rear of the post is in compression so stress cracking should not be an issue. And in all reality the two holes are pretty small and I only weigh 75kg.

So what is the general consensus?

probably not a good idea..use cable ties to fasten ur bottle cages to the seat post....

You get special clamps that bolt around your seatpost, friends of mine did the Epic with them. Ask LBS to get you a set. Their not that expensive

zip ties - hmmm not sure if they would adequately handle the loads and bumping of an MTB race.

As for the other clamps, I will check out the LBS, but still interested to hear some educated opinions on the drilling.

I drilled my seatpost to pop rivet the head when it went loose. It worked for a while, but ended up buying a new one in any case.

put some old tube over the post and then use those metal hose clamps to attach bottle cages with, should work as you can use a screwdriver to tighten the clamp ?

put some old tube over the post and then use those metal hose clamps to attach bottle cages with' date=' should work as you can use a screwdriver to tighten the clamp ? [/quote']

Very good idea.Cut of the excess metal after tightening and spray it matt black.

Will look good.Do not know what it will weigh with the paint on though............Cry

You get special clamps that bolt around your seatpost' date=' friends of mine did the Epic with them. Ask LBS to get you a set. Their not that expensive[/quote']

Got a set at LBS and work 100%.  Just make sure you get a proper stiff bottle cage other the bottle WILL end up flying a lot.

Been riding with it for 6 months and perfect. Enjoy.

Hahaha shimano, steek jy biekie die draak met my ?

I think we need to get Nino from the WW site to make those in titanium with a scandium screw or something and the anodized to match the bike :)

The clamps are the best solution. I'm not sure cable ties will be able to hold the mass of a full bottle. Perhaps if you use lots, or some beeeeg ones.

Lots of problems when drilling in the seatpost.

1. Seatposts work hard, so failure is a big risk.  In general not a good idea to drill here.

2. The wall thickness will only allow perhaps 1 full thread (or less) if you tap it for a m4 or m5 screw, you won't be able to tighten it a lot without stripping the thread.   

Drill it! You only live once! You could use older/cheaper post to try. Jeff at Greg Minnaar Cycles in PMB has a tool to insert a threaded rivet-like thing (like those used in the frame for the bottle cages) - maybe your LBS has one as well...

Drill it! You only live once! You could use older/cheaper post to try. Jeff at Greg Minnaar Cycles in PMB has a tool to insert a threaded rivet-like thing (like those used in the frame for the bottle cages) - maybe your LBS has one as well...

It's called a Rivnut. I can assure you that your seat post will eventually break if you drill holes in it. You will not get enough threads into a seat post to hold a water bottle on a MTB.

Have you ever tried getting the bottle out from the lower cage on an Anthem whilst on the move? Not at all easy. If you are not going to win the race get a camelbak.