?nterchangeable springs for Front Coil forks?

Renier82

good day all,

i have a question :

would i be able to get stiffer springs for my rockshox recon 351 with motion control and the u-turn thing.

the shock feels too "pap"for me ,

i weigh 85kg's, and i have to run it close to lock out on the preload(compression). i have tried 120mm travel, 100mm travel and it still feels pap to me.

i ride a 2001 GT-Idrive with a coil fox vanilla on the rear.

i have notice'd with the fork on minimal compression i would lose the front more easily on single track and general xc riding.

with the compression set higher it feels more solid.

so what do u guys say? can i get stiffer coils for it and then have a range of compression setting to play around with, or should i buy an air shock.

the shops i had visited doesnt seem to think different coils are avail for me to use.

i like the fork, but im falling too much with the front washing out...(my skill level isnt the greatest i admit.. before you guys start chirping ;[)

P.s : whats the amount of sag thts normal when getting on the bike?

i lose +- 10-15mm (shock compressing) when i get onto the bike.(regardless on the amount of travel i have selected.)

well from what i remember you could get replacement coils but im not sure if they come in different weights, the air shock will give you plent of room to dial in the exact way you want the fork to feel, ie how it compresses, decompresses, how fast, how slow etc,

looking at the coil charts for the recon u-turn model..

i only see coils made for very skinny ppl ;-(

Recon U-Turn

140-160 lbs (63-72 kg)

160-180 lbs (72-82 kg)

>180 lbs (82 kg)  -- > i weigh 85kg's...

i wonder which weighted coil is std in the bike? (140-160 lbs (63-72 kg)) ??

No problem. We need to take that spring out, measure it and have one made that's just a tad thicker. Don't let available choices hamper your style. Do it your wayl.

No problem. We need to take that spring out' date=' measure it and have one made that's just a tad thicker. Don't let available choices hamper your style. Do it your wayl.

[/quote']

awsome stuff ;[)

ive now taken the old coil out as per the service manual.(color code is RED (max 72kg) )

will take a look at the part nr and then contact you Johan, thanx for the speedy response ;-) next step after this, the coil of the rear shock ;-)

have a groovy eve!!