Which Garmin

pietermtb

Hi all, I'm looking to get a Garmin fitness computer, but not looking for cycling computer only, looking for gps enabled fitness machine, which is better?

What do you want to do with the unit ? Im getting the garmin edge 500, but it only routes you with an arrow/breadcrumb trail.

if you want gps mapping with turn by turn type directions like a car gps, then you need the Edge 705.

CRC has good prices, but obviously if something goes wrong you might have an issue(bought mine from there, R1000 cheaper than local net shops and R2000 cheaper than retail) otherwise try easygis.co.za, they advertise on the site.  Local retial is rediculous !!!

Guest coenie

avoid the Garmin 305' date=' issues, issues, and more issues...

[/quote']

Hope you mean the Edge 305? The forerunner is cool

Smile

Guest coenie

Thanks' date=' will have a look. Any thoughts on 405cx?[/quote']

You do not get the total altitude while you are riding....

Guest coenie

Pieter is that a Polar ?

405CX is Garmin

You can also try www.expansys.co.za they had keen pricing. I think they have local supplied and some they source from overseas. I insisted on local sourcing for warranty purposes and the maps as well.

WW' date=' how did you get the ZAR maps for the 705? How much did you have to pay extra?[/quote']

Nope I'm getting the Edge 500, I don't need maps, the bread crumbs are fine.  Anyway I don't see how the mapping will help me as an mtb?r, unless you can load tracks for africa or something so that you can map/follow off road trails ?

the forerunner 310xt is the bomb, I find it easier to use, As it has push buttons, instead of the ipod like bezal, when you sweat and running or cycling at speed and now need to change screens it's a mission, With the 310, you just hit the button, and when the triathlon bug bites, you can swim with the 310 aswell