WHICH IS THE BEST MTB CHAIN?

Titanium Rocket

I know that there is no such thing as "the best MTB chain". Same as lubes and tryes - these are very personal and therefore highly subjective.

I only use XTR chains, currently very well-priced on CRC at R193 each without VAT, if you buy a pack of 3. But my experience is that if you don't lube them well and keep them properly clean, they just don't last. But that applies to ANY chain - so which one is "less worse?"

For those hubbers who regularly buy from CRC, let's have some advice on chains. What about those other brands like Wipperman etc?

JB - are there any conclusive comparative tests that have been conducted on different brands and grades of MTB chains?

Ive heard good things about Wipperman, yet to try one. I recently downgraded from XT to Deore in the hope of getting more life out of chain. My XT's were only giving me just over 1000km's despite my best efforts at keeping them clean and lubed. CWC were selling Shimano chains for decent prices.

wipperman is a great chain, however, the best value for money seems to be SRAM chains and cassettes.

KMC - did all my Epic training on one! Replaced it for the Epic with another KMC and still riding with the same chain!

Being a weight weenie I long to have a KMC 10spd (XL/XSL?) chain, really light at around 224g claimed, but hell R500+ for a chain, uh uh !

Got an XTR chain from cwc recently to replace my XT, pricing is fair.

Wipperman seems nice as well, but perhaps sram/shimano gives better shifting ?

Would there be any merit in a cheap chain, would it last longer or shorter, just costing just as much as one expensive chain as you'll have to buy more than one cheapy for the same lifespan as one expensive chain ?

Use two chains with sram links - take chain off, clean chain and cluster/derailleur properly and swop chains after every muddy or dirty ride - chains last longer as do your casette and chain rings.

Connex will last twice as long, I just ride the cheap shimano's . 1 wet baviaans and ur chain is done .

Weenie u are cracking me up here . Unlike with everything else where you pay more you get more , in the cycle game you pay more to get less . And you are the reason for this insanity !! The fact is that a cheaper chain WILL last longer than a expensive XT/XTR or whatever chain . The same goes for blades , BB bearings , shifters etc . I think headsets are about the only exception .

Weenie u are cracking me up here . Unlike with everything else where you pay more you get more ' date=' in the cycle game you pay more to get less . And you are the reason for this insanity !! The fact is that a cheaper chain WILL last longer than a expensive XT/XTR or whatever chain . The same goes for blades , BB bearings , shifters etc . I think headsets are about the only exception . [/quote']

Party PooperThumbs%20DownLOL

By the way what's the difference in weight between an XT and XTR chain? R/gm?

Glad I could make you laugh dirt LOL 

That was what I was wondering, if the cheapies will last longer and you confirmed that, cool !

But being a WW I just can't bring myself to putting heavier stuff on the bike, I just can't ;)

Dunno Breath, the xtr on cwc is abour R300 and the xt about R250 or so, but only a few grams lighter (24g or so)

Chain is not an issue for me, cassette is, XT is 24g claimed heavier than xtr but cost around R500 and the xtr is R1500, cant see the xtr lasting 3 times that of the xt, no ways !

Interesting weight info from the Shimano Site:-

For XTR:-

Model Number CN-7701
Series XTR
Chain Type Super Narrow HG
Cassette Compatibility 9-speed
Pin Link Plate zinc-alloy plated
Roller Link Plate zinc-alloy plated
Average Weight 304g (116 links)

FOR SLX as no chain is listed for XT:-

Model Number CN-HG73
Series DEORE LX