quick advice

Bamm

I dont have alot of knowledge about bikes. I have a bike that has a shockless frame. Can i equip it with a front shock? Thanx

Probably. With 80mm or more travel in the new fork, the bike will more than likely ride like a Harley - up in front and low at the back. It is not a nice sensation. You can then restrict the travel to 60mm.

Secondly, older bikes have 1 inch fork steerers and finding a suspension fork with such a steerer may be difficult, the standard nowadays is 1 1/8th inch.

Then, older bikes had threaded steerers and modern forks are all threadless. This means a new stem too.

I agree with Johan, you will easily find a decent frame for next to nothing on here or look at www.bikebay.co.za, I sold a Scott scale frame, brand new never been riden for R500 on bike bay and I purchased an Orbea team frame for R600

you will find it great fun building up a bike from scratch. good luck

Good Solid advise from the guys,besides if you build high end it normally works out a lot cheaper,if you buy carefully,it also gives you the oppertunity to build up your tools and you also end up doing all your own maintenance which saves again. This also means you dont have to go back to the bike shop again and again with the same old problem. Most bike shops mechanics are good but are working under to much pressure which results in mistakes and problems. R3SL

So i should buy me a frame and a front shock? I have all the other components needed. I want to start mtbing so whats the cheapest way? Thanx for all the advice guys

Hi Bamm, 100% correct ,consider a Rock Shox Reba Race front shock, dual air. R3SL

A Merida TFS will probably cost you up to R1000-00,and its a fairly light frame. R3SL