Bike Lights.... what do I buy???

Guest Big H

Guest Big H

We will most likely bring a tandem to Nigeria when we return in June. We will only be able to train/ride early in the morning before work. Work starts at 07h00. Sunrise is 06h30 at present (going into summer here - northern hemisphere) and the latest is 07h00 in January. We will need lights that will last for at least an hour. We will need GOOD lights as the Nigerian roads are not the best.

I will not have time to make my own. What do we buy.

Guest Big H
http://www.troutie.com/XPE%20BUILD%20TUTORIAL.html
Kontak die outjie en bou maar een van die. Jy al nie gou beter kry nie' date=' nog beter vra die outjie om vir jou een aanmekaar te slaan.[/quote']

Ek kyk al lankal na die ligte maar die perd is in Engeland????

Has amybody here imported lights from him????

Oom, pm BrighterLights. pricey but guaranteed you won't notice that the sun isn't shining - you will be forgiven for wearing your dark glasses at night.

yes - the magiclight from brighterlights. well made and very bright.Don't look into the beam.

Extremesportslighting in Cape Town, the cars flash at me R3000-00, 800Lumen I also use it for single track at night. About on par with a cars headlights ,no joke.

Check out the website www.extremesportlighting.com , the guys name is Anton Nofke. Also perfect for Trans Baviaans etc etc. Most lights you get in the shops are about 200Lumen. Good Luck : R3SL

Guest Big H

Thanx everybody..... iw ill start my research as soon as the MD leaves back to Lagos later today.

Big H

Add the Magiclights to your list of lights to compare.

GotThatInCarbon made an error in an earlier post though. Brighter-Lights does not sell Magiclights, you can get them from me. Check out www.magiclight.co.za

I haven't shipped to Nigeria yet, but am willing to give it a try if you are interested.

really consider building your own, so that you can fix them if they break.  Nothing more annoying than having a fancy light that is broken.

really consider building your own' date=' so that you can fix them if they break.  Nothing more annoying than having a fancy light that is broken.[/quote']

Been there, done that, won't do it again... Yes, it's fun to build, but if it breaks you have to rebuild anyway.  What can break in a LED setup anyway?  Easiest is getting proper, rugged light with backup and spare parts when required.

I bought the Hope Vision 4 lights and will never go back to DIY.  They are sub-R3000 with 1000 lumen (whatever that means, but it is bright enough to race singletrack).  More than you require in any instance and I never run them on 100% as it is not needed.  You can dim and adjust angle on the fly and swop batteries in seconds.  The convenience factor has lots to say for it if you run them day after day (and not just occasionally at races)

Anyway, paying more than R3k is nuts these days

Vergeet van die 'commercial' ligte... hulle almal gebruik verouderde tegnologie omdat die heel beste LED's maar in klein hoeveelhede beskikbaar raak.

Hang af wat jy wil spandeer... daar's baie opsies. Party van die commercial ligte gebruik sommer baie verouderde LED's... soos bv die lig hier op die hub wat 'n Seoul P7 gebruik... die P7 kom al meer as 3 jaar en is die laaste 2 jaar nog nie weer verbeter nie. Die nuutste LED's is amper 40% helderder.   

Iet's soos DIE sal jou lewe DAG maak... Ek't nog net een vir myself gebou, maar ek kan daaraan dink om hom af te staan...

460g lithium polymer battery met balanseer stroombaan in waterbottel OF 400g sonder water bottel in shrink in shrink wrap (100% waterdig)

170g ligkop (kabel ingesl)

Laai van leeg tot vol in net 2 ure

Ten volle programmeerbare stroombaan laat jou kies tuseen 4 verskillende 'mode programs' , daarbenewens kan jy elke program se 'levels' se helderheid ook self kies.

Die lig dim homself as hy sou oorverhit (soos bv. op high beam wanneer jy stilstaan)

3 'stage battery level indicator + low voltage shutdown'

2500 Lumens vir 2 ure (net in koue omgewings - baie hitte teen amper 30 Watt!)

1900 Lumens vir 3 ure

1400 Lumens vir 4 ure

1000 Lumens vir 6 ure +

110 Lumens vir 65 ure + 

20100409_002717_P4090032.jpg

20100409_002803_P4090031.jpg