Disk on front, V-brake on back

RodTi

Hello all...

At the risk of starting the whole "which is better, disc or v" debate - seen a couple of older bikes on the net that have v-brakes on the back (given that the older frame has no disc-brake capacity), but then have disc brakes on the front - since the newer shocks obviously have the lugs(?) to take discs...

Anyone on the hub done this?

Thoughts?

I had a magura hydraulic rim brake on the rear and a V-brake on the front once.......

now that I think about it - I had a mongoose that had a mechanical disc brake on the front and a V on the back......came like that out of the box.

Haven't done it but have given it some thought. Perfect combo because most of your braking is up front anyway and you save some weight at the back. Bit of a pain for carrying around spares though? and wheels bought singularly are more expensive.

Rod Ti - that is a good question, seeing that the back brake is not really the brake that requires a lot of power (unless you are rolling downhill backwards...he he... been there got the scars).

I suppose it depends on what you gain by having this configuration - maybe save on upgrade costs (1 disk instead of 2?), a few gramms .....

Thanks guys...

Ja - from a mechanical point of view, what with stopping power and all - it probably does make sense.

But then as Buff has pointed out - the costs of individually organising a front wheel [and after I've just upgraded to a set of v-brake wheels (DOH!!! Censored)] that is disc-brake specific, will be pricey.

But then - it will also look cool.

But then - looking cool should never be a reason to upgrade...

But then - sometimes it should be......

Aw fug it.

Hello all...

At the risk of starting the whole "which is better' date=' disc or v" debate - seen a couple of older bikes on the net that have v-brakes on the back (given that the older frame has no disc-brake capacity), but then have disc brakes on the front - since the newer shocks obviously have the lugs(?) to take discs...

Anyone on the hub done this?

Thoughts?

[/quote']

Probably the best combo on a singlespeed as the rearwheel needs to move to keep the chain tensioned. that is if you dont use a chaintensioner...

But then - it will also look cool.

But then - looking cool should never be a reason to upgrade...

But then - sometimes it should be......

Aw fug it.

"If you dont look good, you can't go good"

But then as Buff has pointed out - the costs of individually organising a front wheel [and after I've just upgraded to a set of v-brake wheels (DOH!!! Censored)] that is disc-brake specific' date=' will be pricey.

[/quote']

my trance 3 (they don't do this bike anymore) came with v-brakes. the wheels cam with disc hubs though!

But then as Buff has pointed out - the costs of individually organising a front wheel [and after I've just upgraded to a set of v-brake wheels (DOH!!! Censored)] that is disc-brake specific' date=' will be pricey.

[/quote']

my trance 3 (they don't do this bike anymore) came with v-brakes. the wheels cam with disc hubs though!

Haven't done it but have given it some thought. Perfect combo because most of your braking is up front anyway and you save some weight at the back. Bit of a pain for carrying around spares though? and wheels bought singularly are more expensive.

Hey Buff!

For someone who is completely uneducated re disc brakes - exactly what spares are we talking about here?

You mean - as in take with you on your ride? What would this include - discpads? What else?

Hey Buff!

For someone who is completely uneducated re disc brakes - exactly what spares are we talking about here?

You mean - as in take with you on your ride? What would this include - discpads? What else?

Don't worry, so am I, I still run V's. The only time it will bother you is if you're doing something like the Epic when you need to worry about carrying spares ie. pads for both. For normal day to day honking it'll be perfect.

And since when does V's look cool ? They look about as cool as a Audi TT with drim brakes on the back !!! As for the weight thing , aag what the hell I am not even gonna bother .

Fredd from Gecko Cycles told me some of the newer mtb will again start coming out with Disk and V-Brake combo. Apparantly to do with cost saving.Stern%20Smile