Bike chain falls off now and then

RoCkFoRdGuN

Hello maybe someone can help .

I went cycling yesterday and my chain went off twice i dunno what it could be cause i only had the bike now for about 3 weeks. It happened before a few times already and its starting to bug me can anyone give some advice plz

It could also be the way you shifting. I know when mine jumps it is the way I shifted at that time.

It could also be the way you shifting. I know when mine jumps it is the way I shifted at that time.

Hmmm it is when i shift then it jumps off the cog is it me then shifting wrong ?

I usually find that when I'm starting a hill and the chain is in the first or second biggest cog at the back and I then shift from the large ring in the front to the small one my chain comes off ,but that is not the correct way of shifting so I try not to do itTongue

wisecrack has it spot on. When you are in high gear at the back (ie the smallest cog) the chain is under fairly low tenson, so when you drop from the big blade up front, the chain tension is reduced even more so there is a tendancy for the chain to drop because there is basicaly so little tension holding it onto the chainring teeth. The remedy is to change onto the middle of the spocket before shifting on the front derailleur

I usually find that when I'm starting a hill and the chain is in the first or second biggest cog at the back and I then shift from the large ring in the front to the small one my chain comes off ' date='but that is not the correct way of shifting so I try not to do itTongue[/quote']

try fitting a Deda Dog fang. Google it.

I usually find that when I'm starting a hill and the chain is in the first or second biggest cog at the back and I then shift from the large ring in the front to the small one my chain comes off ' date='but that is not the correct way of shifting so I try not to do itTongue[/quote']

Where can I get one of these neat little plastic things?

I want one.

I also drop a chain now and then. Normally at the worst of times as well.

Chain length is fine and so is limit screws. But the chain just seems to like hopping all the way down on my compact.

I never dropped my chain on the 53/39 but now on the 50/34 it happens now and then.

If I shift from big to small, I pedal very slow and then shift, had no problems. Sticky and durty deraluers also tends to do that.

Get yourself something with downtube shifters and you'll hit the sweet spot every time. Finesse is the word.

I want one.

Chain length is fine and so is limit screws. But the chain just seems to like hopping all the way down on my compact.

I never dropped my chain on the 53/39 but now on the 50/34 it happens now and then.

Woofie, did you lower the front deraileur to fit the compact crank better?  If not, it could compound the problem.  That and oviously shortening your chain so that the chain remains under tension when you shift with the compact.

I want one.

Woofie, did you lower the front deraileur to fit the compact crank better?  If not, it could compound the problem.  That and oviously shortening your chain so that the chain remains under tension when you shift with the compact.

2nd that