Screeching brake pads

Gillie

Howzit guys and gals

Have a pair of carbon wheels and thought I will do the right thing and got brake pads specifically for carbon wheels.

Problem is a moerse hi-pitched screeching sounds eminates when I apply the brakes.

Why and how can I fix it?

Thanks

What pads are you using? as for example the Dura Ace pads squeal whereas the Corima pads don't....

On vehicles they put a TINY coating of copper slip on the rear of the pad to avoid the friction that is created when you apply the brakes. I don't know if this will work with bikes but I presume it will. Once it is embedded into the pad it should be fine and not wash off. I am going to try it with my Stumpjumper as the same thing happens. Will let you know if it works or just messes up the system!

On vehicles they put a TINY coating of copper slip on the rear of the pad to avoid the friction that is created when you apply the brakes. I don't know if this will work with bikes but I presume it will. Once it is embedded into the pad it should be fine and not wash off. I am going to try it with my Stumpjumper as the same thing happens. Will let you know if it works or just messes up the system!

He is talking about a road bike.

What pads are you using? as for example the Dura Ace pads squeal whereas the Corima pads don't....

Dura-ace... just talked to the guy that fitted them, according to him the screeching will get better...

I used to have a bit of squeal too. I use the Swisstop Yellow King Brake pads.

I first cleaned the rims, then I used a scotch brite pad to lightly "sand" the braking surface on the rim. After that I cleaned the brake tracks with acetone on a rag, just a wipe down. You can see if there is crud coming off the rims onto the rag with acetone, repeat if necessary. I found that the embedded old brake pad rubber still on the rim surface caused grabbing and set up the resonance.

The pads may still be contaminated so a quick wash and then a light sanding to clean off the old stuff.

Then re-install. I didn't do a leading edge setup on the pads I just sat them square.

No more squealing (they may squeal a little when you bed them in again, but should clear up in one short ride).

Also check  they are toed in, meaning the front of the pads touches first, if the whole pad touches at once then it can cause a squeal.