Be aware. Fraudster at hand

spylikeme

Hi All <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Please be aware that there is a fraudster out there that is looking at "The Hub" for his criminal activities.  The person wanted to buy my bike that is for sale. He even sent through a payment confirmation statement.  The money is still not in my account, but luckily I never released the bike.

What worries me is that the ^%$#$% person is giving us, "The Hub" users a bad name. Angry

Safe riding.

Standard scam folks - also watch our for deposit slips that have been modified to state cash deposited, or stolen cheque used (deposit will reflect until chq is not honoured)

You can always call the bank to verify and tell the buyer that you need a few days for payment to clear

I wish I can give you his name. Currently there is a case pending.

Please just make sure about your deals.

As soos as I can, I will post his name, the ^&%$.

I wish I can give you his name. Currently there is a case pending.

Please just make sure about your deals.

As soos as I can' date=' I will?post his name,?the ^&%$.
[/quote']

um.... Why Start a post then if you're unable / unwilling to reveal who it was / what happened? what relevance does a case pending have to you not being able to post his details?

If I was a scamster I would also target this site:

• minimum registration details are required;
  • I don't have to give my real name;
  • Real names can be fraudelent too, how do we know, nobody checks it;

• no clubdetails are asked for - at least that was a traceable option;
  • no referals are asked for

• my email address can be any of the 20 I have;
  • I can swear and lie at will here, admin doesn't care much;
  • I can post almost under any forum regardless whether it's the right one or not,admin doesn't care;
I know most of the above don't apply to the majority of us who are reasonable wellknown in cycling circles but a lot of people on this hub hide behind pseudonyms.

Especially if trading is going on, admin should consider some form of traceability in order to protect us.

I don't think admin is doing enough and should jack up their work/site requirements a little bit here.

The problem is that nothing will happen to the person because he never received the goods.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Jatho, I think the reason why Spykilem started this post was to make others more attent not to name and shame the bugger...

This doesn't only happen here unfortunately...my son advertised his laptop in Junk Mail, same story - faxed him an internet trf proof of payment...but having been scammed before, he said he'd want to confirm with his bank first...strangest thing though - his bank statement showed the amount coming in...but the very next transaction was the amount going back out again. The bank actually froze his account. What drama to get it activated again.

One just needs to be vigilant at all times. Sign of the times i suppose. smiley6.gif

Hi All

I have decided to give you the persons "name", not that I believe it is his real name. 

He introduced himself to me as a Roger Baloyi.

I also believe that he is not a registered hubber.

So if you do deal with a person with this name, please make sure that it is his real name.

My intension is to warn my fellow hubbers, not to put any person in a bad light.

Funny thing is that most of the folk complaining about members that don't have the real names registered are some of the very people that don't give their own names. smiley11.gif