Which chain will fit best

Kobie

Different people gave me different answers on this one. If you want to fit 10spd chainrings with a 9spd groupset, what chain should you fit, i.e. will a 10spd chain work with the 9spd casette as it is, or do you need to replace the casette (or spacers), or do you use a 9spd chain?

Whooosh...

The sound of that question passing waaaay over my ability to contribute!

Kobie why would you want to use a 10 speed chain on a 9 speed drivetrain. I may be corrected but I doubt if it would work, The width of the sideplates is smaller than an nine speed. I think te chain may jam. Also what I well know is that you cannot use a nine speed on a ten speed. This will definitely jam. Most cassettes are riveted and only the smaller sprockets have spacers.

Kobie.

Best advice I can give is to take the plunge and get a 10sp groupo.  You can get something from about R3.5k and up which it not that bad.  That way you know you will not have issues!

Good luck

oops, copied that pic and there seems to be some imbedded Java script.

Can a mod remove the script or delete the pic? sorryEmbarrassed

I was building a bike for my son a little while back and somehow got chains mixed up. Had a 10 spd chain on a 9 speed groupset and it made a hell of a racket from the cassette and gear changing definitely wasn't lekker. Changed the chain to a 9 speed and it solved the problem. So I would say that if you really need to mix then you should use a 9 speed to match the cassette - but the front deraileur / gear change might not be too smooth.

My 9sp chainrings were shot and I bought 10sp chainrings on the hub. My 9sp casette is relatively new, so no need to replace. I asked the question because the chain kept on slipping in between the rings when changing from big to small. 9sp Chain works 100% if you put the rings on right way around.

Does anyone know where I can get a KMC MissingLink10 in SA (same as SRam Powerlink, but for 10 speed)

Kobie. A 10sp chain works better than a 9sp chain on a 9sp drive train. Shifts are smoother and quicker so you can just replace the chain with a 10sp one.

For KMC Gold and silver chains contact

Paul at Triangle Sports

Tel. +27 (0) 41 581 7990

Fax. +27 (0) 41 581 4553

e-mail: paul@triangle.cc