Ride of Silence (International)

cyclewife

Join cyclists worldwide in a silent slow-paced ride (max. 20km/h) in honor of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roadways.

WHY DOES THIS ORGANIZATION EXIST?

* To HONOUR those who have been injured or killed

* To RAISE AWARENESS that we are here

* To ask that we all SHARE THE ROAD

THE RIDE OF SILENCE WILL NOT BE QUIET

On May 19th 2010, at 7:00 PM, the Ride of Silence will begin in North America and roll across the globe and continued on May 22nd in the Southern Hemisphere.

Date:Saturday, May 22, 2010

Time:10:00am - 12:00pm

Location:Johannesburg, Cape Town, South Africa (venues will be confirmed)Other areas such as Durban and Port Elizabeth might be added. Updated will be posted here - so stay tuned.

On May 20th 2009, in 283 confirmed locations, in 18 countries, on 5 continents, cyclists took to the roads in a silent procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn't aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves.

In 2003, Chris Phelan organized the first Ride Of Silence in Dallas after endurance cyclist Larry Schwartz was hit by the mirror of a passing bus and was killed.

The Ride Of Silence is a free ride that asks its cyclists to ride no faster than 20km/h and remain silent during the ride. There is no brochure, no sponsors and no registration fees. The ride, which is held during Bike Safety month and week in the U.S.A., aims to raise the awareness of motorists, police and city officials that cyclists have a legal right to the public roadways. The ride is also a chance to show respect for those who have been killed or injured.

Hey cyclewife, please create an event for this on askfrikkie.com. It is a great place to give as much info as you want on the event as well as a google map feature to show exactly where it will be starting.

It is also a free service for event organisers...

Great stuff Danger Dassie.

Thanks craigd - will post it on your website as well smiley4.gif

Please spread the word guys/dolls. I know that the Bela Bela race is on the same weekend, so many won't be able to attend due to their commitment to race....but all the non racing cyclists - please show your support.

Copy and paste my original message into an email - and mail to the "non hubber" cyclists in your contacts list.

Let's try and make this the BIGGEST memorial ride EVER.

if you have any ideas for the Jhb/Pta starting point for our ride - let me know. We'd like to make it as central as possible for riders from PTA and Jozi...but we also want to make sure that the route is safe. All ideas more than welcome smiley38.gif

Guest Big H
So no women allowed if this thing needs to take place in silence.

........ ou maatjie as jy krap met 'n grassie waar dit NIE juk nie kan een van twee dinge gebeur...... die leeu kan jou doodklap met een hou...... of hy kan dit so laaik dat hy jou vir altyd en altyd tot in ewigheid aanhou as sy buddy!!!!!!!!!!

?

........ ou maatjie as jy krap met 'n grassie waar dit NIE juk nie kan een van twee dinge gebeur...... die leeu kan jou doodklap met een hou...... of hy kan dit so laaik dat hy jou vir altyd en altyd tot in ewigheid aanhou as sy buddy!!!!!!!!!!

Hoooooooo Mampara... treading on thin ice with that statements... smiley36.gif

Luckily I have a sense of humor.

Woman are certainly allowed...and I'll have the masking tape ready if needed.

Hope you will be joining us smiley20.gif

Guest Big H

Hoooooooo Mampara... treading on thin ice with that statements... smiley36.gif
Luckily I have a sense of humor.

Woman are certainly allowed...and I'll have the masking tape ready if needed.

Hope you will be joining us smiley20.gif

Jy moet maar 'n tandem vir jou en Mampara saam reel sodat julle my en EM kan verteenwoordig!!!!!!!

smiley32.gif

***BREAKING NEWS***

Robbie Hunter [Garmin-Transitions] & John Lee Augustyn [Team Sky] have both endorsed the Ride of Silence!!! This is amazing news... and we are very excited to have two of the biggest names in SA cycling back us! Thanks guys...

As John Lee said:"Lets stand together and share the road as we are all equal!"

Our website for Ride of Silence will be up and running soon. Will post link asap.

Any suggestions for GAUTENG starting points needed and whether to have two starting locations...one in PTA and one in JHB...Please post your thoughts.

Thanks for your feedback