Danger - Chartwell North-Northern Farms

brettaust1

On Sat 10/04/2010, around 9:30 in morning, at the gate entering Chartwell North at the bottom of "heartbreak hill", we were attacked and two Mountain bikes stolen. There were three of us riding, all guys,  and we were attacked by two armed black men, one with a gun and one with a knife. They were very agressive, and I beleive had the opportunity arisen, would have harmed us.

The reason for me posting this information, is shortly after the incident a mixed couple rode this route, followed by a sigle cyclists, then another couple. After having spoken to the sector policing, it appears that this was the third incident in this area on consecutive Saturdays, except on the previous occasions the cyclists had been roughed up. We followed the tracks of our stolen bikes, and they went along the river towards Diepsloot, crossed the river and were inside the outscirts of Diepsloot, this is not even 2km from the site of attack, so a very convenient, crime site<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Whilst I beleive riding on Nothern Farms is relatively safe, as they now have guys riding around and checking the entrances, I believe outside the farm, particularily towards Broadacres is a not safe at all.

Please inform cyclists you know, as this is now very dangerous pattern that has developed, and am sure with recent success, the attackers will become even more brazen, and dangerous.

Dude that sucks, Glad you guy's are ok and I hope your insurance was paid up there is a link under the forums for posting stolen bikes, maybe someone will see them when the bastards try to sell them.

This makes my blood boil Angry it seems there are few places that are safe to ride anymore. Is there anything being done about this kind of crime?

If

"it appears that this was the third incident in this

area on consecutive Saturdays..."

why is it allowed to carry on? No need to answer!

Brett - glad you guys are OK - could you please advise, in more detail, where the incident occured.

Was it on the road 'to' Northern Farms, after the end of Cedar Road, and on the way to Northern Farms/the crossing of N14? (somewhere near Herron Bridge school?

Hi

The incident occured at the gate at the bottom of the hill, between Florahaven and Chartwell North, but apparantly the move between here and the entrance to Northern Farms. But our incident happened if you cross the bridge, just after Heron Bridge,  from Northern Farms towards Broadacres, just after the bridge turn left over the low level bridge, then go pat the "splat ball range" on the road, then as you turn right at the gate to start going up the hill, right there.

Brett

Hi

Not sure where you were going with this, but the reason people keep riding here, is maybe, like myself are blissfully unaware of these attacks, hence the reason for my post.

Brett

Hi Brett,

I was just trying to understand where the attacks are happening - I live in the area (broadacres) but don't ride my MTB in the area (I ride 'road' in that area though).

I've heard of attacks near the Lion Park (the other side of Cedar road, outside of Northern Farms and, before security was improved, at Northern Farms.

It seems to me that these people are 'watching', know where the isolated spots are, and know where to attack people.

Sad as it is to say, it appears as though nowhere in the area is safe!

Hey sorry - to hear - this is why I am thinking of getting a group together - see https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=81814 -

They we can all ride at same pace to Nothern Farm and ride back after we do Nothern Farm at our own pace - and if group big enough could even break into a fast and slow group.

I think a small group f 1-5 would not put them off but a bigger one just might.

Have you guys seen this - www.nbrza.co.za-  a step in the right direction - not perfect but heading somewhere

If "it appears that this was the third incident in this area on consecutive Saturdays..."

Hi all
got this e mail from Jerry De Beer:

I would like to appeal to you to make your riders aware of a very dangerous situation that has arisen in the Chartwell North area, it would appear that Mountain Bike rider returning from the Herron bridge, Northern Farm area to Fourways usually enter via Chartwell north, the gate at Runnymeade cnr 9 nth or lower, in the last 4 weeks there have been 3 armed bicycle hijackings in the general area see detail below.

Encourage the people to ride in groups 4 or bigger, not to stop for any suspicious pedestrian no matter how friendly.

*       1st 20 March - Husband and wife riders
o       Two cyclists hijacked on Sat 20 March at about 10am just outside
Chartwell's bottom gate - (a lady that stables at Doug Andrew) her husband and friend from overseas returned from cycling at Northern Farm, they had gone over the Heron Bridge low level bridge and cycled up hill back to Chartwell (near the grass farm at the paint ball tyres) they were held up by two black men walking in the road (one armed with a knife and one with a
gun) the husband had his T-shirt slashed open in front, lucky they did not shoot, the had the two bikes taken, plus wallet, rug-sack, watches and cell phones stolen. They have lodged a police report at Douglasdale police station o
*       2nd 27 March - 2 male riderd
o       There apparently was an attack on 2 cyclists this morning either in
Runny mead  or the dirt road behind it I was told that they were beaten up quite badly I don\'t know what was taken from them Please send out a warning to residents and cyclists to be careful and to be on the look out for any suspicious characters Please forward to Jerry as I am sending this from Arlette\'s computer
*       3rd 9 April - 3 male riders
o       On Saturday 09/04/2010 at around 09H00 we were attached by two armed
African men whilst riding our Mountain Bikes, one had a knife and the other a gun. This occurred as we were entering the gate at the bottom of Ninth, the guys seemed friendly and even spoke to us before they attacked, and had just been chatting to two ladies on horseback prior to the incident, they seemed to know exactly what they were doing, and obviously have done this before, after taking two bikes and our backpacks, they then went along the path to Diepsloot, we tracked the tire tracks, crossed the river and were gone.
o       While we were lucky in the fact there were no injuries, the fact
that they attacked three guys in broad daylight, in the open,  indicates just how brazen they are, and with this latest success who knows what could be next...

Regards

Jerry De Beer
Chairperson
Sector 1 Community Policing Forum
Douglasdale CPF
083 300 4860

To unsubscribe from our newsletter, click onto the following link:
   http://www.northernfarm.co.za\unsubscribe.php?email=dianec@wwb.co.za

well this is hardly a difficult thing to solve. Let the police set up 2 undercover guys in riding gear and hang around the area on Saturday. When they are approached pull out a gun and kill these primates - f**** simple. Why do we have to wait for someone to die before they sort this sh*t out. The last three bikejackings have been on consecutive weekends on a saturday ???? Hello there is a pattern here, it would not be difficult to catch these guys if there was some will and motivation from our police force.

Sorry for the tone of this email but i have had guns stuck in my face on 3 different occasions (not on my bike) and if these guys were taken out, it would make the world a much better place. smiley7.gif smiley7.gif smiley7.gif smiley7.gif

Hopefully the hippo thats running around there will trample on them.

The attached picture was taken on Monday at the PPC quarry next to the farm and farm management have seen Hippo tracks on two of the damns walls. Hippos can be very dangerous, so if you see this one whilst riding around the farm we suggest you take all steps to avoid it.

Regards

Simon

20100415_033559_hippo.jpg

I think it is only a matter of time until they spred to Teak for, so they give northerns a rest so everyone thinks it is safe while they work the teak area and then the go back to northerns when no one expects it!

I suggest people look at joining clubs, 4 to 6 people are no challenge you need big numbers to make it work!

I used to ride alone alot but not anymore the only time I ride alone these days is on the trainer! 

This is all helping with my decision to move capewards next year. I rode alone every day while in Plett and never once felt unsafe.

Its just up here that there is this k@k. Sure it happens elsewhere, but now its become a weekly fixture.

Ya noche! I lived in Stellenbosch for two years and unless you rode through the township you had zero to worry about except the killer climbs!