Paris-Roubaix inovations

Nish4

Found the following interesting on some of the developments made to the Paris-Roubaix bikes:

BBox-Bouygues Telecom Colnago Cross Prestige

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/04/12/1271062594894-zpz72a5sbguq-850-65.jpg

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/04/12/1271062594900-g05qtiwsnemj-850-65.jpg

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/04/12/1271062594906-1agcpomd5pjo9-850-65.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

Cancellara's Specialized was also not the standard one. Team Sky used the Pinarello KOBH 60.1 instead of the Dogma 60.1.

Apart from the racing I love seeing the equipment that the teams come up with at the Paris-Roubaix.

Nothing new here, they have been using 'cross bikes at Roubaix for decades...

Cancellara's bike was the new Roubaix Sl3 prototype, most guys have the frames modified for extra tyre clearances for the 28c tyres and in case its muddy.

The P-R is always interesting from a bike modification point of view. Much of it is just lore though.

For instance, Cancellara's bike supposedly had some hand-made one-off tubbies fitted that were 27mm wide. According to the commentators, these were handmade by a craftsman in some remote village in the Alps/Pyrinese/Drakensberg and he takes such pride in his work that he doesn't even brand the tyres. They were simply painted Paris-Rubais.

I smiled. Me, I'd rather ride a tyre made by a Chinese robot that something made by hand. But there seems to be no group more superstitious than professional athletes, so handmade tubbies he got. Clearly they worked, 'cause he won.

Also, his bike had some special "geometry" in the fork and rear stays that was supposed to absorb shock. I had a glimpse in one shot and all I saw was a little kink in an otherwise straight fork. Where the compliance came from, I don't know. But again, it worked, 'cause he won.

I suspect these cantilever brakes were a pre-emptive measure for mud clearance or, the standard brakes wouldn't allow for a fat tyre.

Did anyone else notice any magical bits and bobs on these bikes? Any 36-spoke box-section wheels?

Cancellara's bike does not have " some special "geometry" in the fork and rear stays that was supposed to absorb shock "

Geometry will refer to the angles, the inserts used are known as Zerts inserts and are there to help dampen vibration, however we WILL be told that it's all a marketing ploy and that there is no scientific proof that they actually do work.

Cantilever brakes are common practice in the Roubaix.

What amazes me is the weight of these bikes after the mods. Flecha's bike was 8.22kg's!

I like the little chain catchers and the double wrapped bar tape.

Cancellara's bike does not have " some special "geometry" in the fork and rear stays that was supposed to absorb shock "
Geometry will refer to the angles' date=' the inserts used are known as Zerts inserts and are there to help dampen vibration, however we WILL be told that it's all a marketing ploy and that there is no scientific proof that they actually do work.
Cantilever brakes are common practice in the Roubaix.[/quote']

Hey China. This is a discussion, not a fight.

I paraphrased the commentators. I also recorded the race. Have a listen to Phil (?) during the last 45kms. He mentioned special geometry, not me. He may have talked about Zerts at some other point in the race but I didn't pick that up.

And as for the little rubber blobs in the fork. Of course they don't work. It is all marketing.

Shock emanates from the wheel hitting bumps. The tyre passes the shock onto the spokes that transfer it to the hub that transfers it to the drop-outs that transfers it up the fork leg to the frame etc.

Do you really think a little rubber blob in a hole in the fork is gonna stop it?

Here's an experiment for you: Take a  broomstick and drill a hole laterally through it, somewhere in the middle. Insert a Zert. Now hold the brookstick against your head - between the eyes is good - and get your mate to whack it with a hammer.  Report back, or just in case, ask your mate to report back to us.

prototype from Vittoria, a 25mm Corsa Evo CX

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2010/02/27/2/img_5023_600.jpg

beefed up Rotor 3D cranks and Q Rings

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2010/02/27/2/img_4947_600.jpg

[quote name=Johan Bornman

Hey China. This is a discussion' date=' not a fight.

Shock emanates from the wheel hitting bumps. The tyre passes the shock onto the spokes that transfer it to the hub that transfers it to the drop-outs that transfers it up the fork leg to the frame etc.

Do you really think a little rubber blob in a hole in the fork is gonna stop it?

Here's an experiment for you: Take a  broomstick and drill a hole laterally through it, somewhere in the middle. Insert a Zert. Now hold the brookstick against your head - between the eyes is good - and get your mate to whack it with a hammer.  Report back, or just in case, ask your mate to report back to us. 
[/quote]

Big%20smile

I have ridden on cobbles with my mtb and lets say it's a shocking experience,something like hitting a pothole every second.......and that was with a front shock.I would hate to feel it on my road bike with harder tyres.

To be honest i can't see  how those inserts will help on cobles...maybe on normal roads.

Those Colnagos are just plain Cyclocross bikes' date=' nothing special.[/quote']

Agreed, but why were Spaz, Cervelo etc not running something similar ?

Does Ernesto not trust his racing steeds on the cobbles !

Nish - too much techno jargon for me bud... Just enjoyed watching the race and the pain of riding for 6.5 hrs

Agreed' date=' but why were Spaz, Cervelo etc not running something similar ?Does Ernesto not trust his racing steeds on the cobbles ![/quote']

easy, maybe they are not willing to fork out for new molds to cast new bikes for just one race. Those costs need to be recovered and it's normally the consumer. Why do you think Spez bikes are so expensive, it's because they had to cast a special e100 000 frame for Tom Boonen last year (or the year before).

Cancellara's bike does not have " some special "geometry" in the fork and rear stays that was supposed to absorb shock " Geometry will refer to the angles' date=' the inserts used are known as Zerts inserts and are there to help dampen vibration, however we WILL be told that it's all a marketing ploy and that there is no scientific proof that they actually do work. Cantilever brakes are common practice in the Roubaix.[/quote']

?

Hey China. This is a discussion, not a fight.

Now what in my post would make you perceive it as a fight ?

Rubber is the best shock absorber, look at the original Austin Mini there was nothing fancy just a big block of rubber as shock absorbers, and the car is still touted as one of the best handling cars ever built! of course an insert will work...

When Bonnen won he was on pretty much the same bike.

I read an interview with Radioshack's head mechanic and he said the best bike for Roubaix is a standard machine, with a little more clearence for mud and old school standard wheels with spoke washers...