NCR. HELP with Debt Collectors, What to do?

Wannabe

Received a call from a attorney firm in Nelspruit of all places, claiming that ABSA has handed me over to them for debt collection for the whopping amount of R524.36. When denying that I owe ABSA anything, the lady said its ok, and wanted to hang up. I stopped her as I was intruiged as I knew for a fact that I do not owe ABSA anything (if it was Standard Bank, that would be another storyLOLWink)

Long story short, it was for debt that my EX ran up after our divorce in 1998, with one of my cards she had in her possession. I had already paid off this debt with ABSA around 2004/5, but this money somehow remained unpaid. Probably a couple of Rands not paid that escalated with interest.

If ABSA had a problem with this outstanding debt, they surely had the means to track me themselves LONG ago, as my cellphone number did not change at all. All my particulars is also on the systems of the Banking institutions as I have a longstanding account with Standard Bank.

I am under the impression that after a period of years has past since bad debt incurred, that the institution can not claim it from a person.

Anybody knows if this is true and what the period of time is. Can a person get blacklisted for it, and if not what is the recourse to clear your name.

All I know is you don't want to mess with the bank or the receiver. Nothing falls away with them. If you do get blacklisted it will cause you huge k@k in your life. The question is, is it worth R523?

All debts prescribe after three years.

If in the last three years, they have made no attempt to contact you, tell them the "debt has prescribed, irrespective of whether it was originally due."

They will go away.

Check the legality of this per the NCA?

Delgado, how do I go about it. Seems as if the attorney firm in Nelspruit do not want to furnish me with any info. I did ask for it, before I decide to dismiss it or pay up.

All debts prescribe after three years.

If in the last three years' date=' they have made no attempt to contact you, tell them the "debt has prescribed, irrespective of whether it was originally due."

They will go away.
[/quote']

Are you sure about it, as I definately have not heard anything from them. Any way to prove or disprove it?

Check the legality of this per the NCA?

Delgado' date=' how do I go about it. Seems as if the attorney firm in Nelspruit do not want to furnish me with any info. I did ask for it, before I decide to dismiss it or pay up. [/quote'] If they are reluctant to provide you with info then I would be suspicious of their case strength!! It smacks of bullying you into paying up out of fear..... I also tend to agree with the earlier post that the matter would have prescribed after 3 years of their discovery of the outstanding debt and they would have the means to discover the debt at an early stage. From a process point of view I'm sure that there is an Ombud that acts on regulation....this link may help

I had a law firm from Nelspruit bugging me about an outstanding debt of one of my employees. They could not furnish me with any details of the debt but kept harassing me with further details of the employee and employment details. They tried to institute a garnishing order by which time this employee had moved on.

He had no knowledge of any debt and it was one of those employees whom I tend to believe.

Sounds like the law firm bought over a bad debtors book - they usually get it for a Nandos meal from whatever companies.

There tactics are to scare you into paying. I remember from my furniture retail days how the company I worked for sold their bad debtors to another sister company who had a good track record of collecting money.

Assumption here, but it sounds like the bulk of the outstanding debt is now "recovery fees".

Sounds like the law firm bought over a bad debtors book - they usually get it for a Nandos meal from whatever companies.

There tactics are to scare you into paying. I remember from my furniture retail days how the company I worked for sold their bad debtors to another sister company who had a good track record of collecting money.

Assumption here' date=' but it sounds like the bulk of the outstanding debt is now "recovery fees".[/quote']

Did you work for your uncle?Big%20smile

Sounds to me like a bull story. Rather contact ABSA HQ and enquire directly before paying any monies over. Even if it is only R523, that amount could buy some riding goodiesWink

Sounds to me like a bull story. Rather contact ABSA HQ and enquire directly before paying any monies over. Even if it is only R523' date=' that amount could buy some riding goodiesWink[/quote']

Yeah, is almost half of what I need for a new Mtb crankset. Big%20smile

Guest Agteros

Whatever you do, do not admit that you owe this money. This admission can be used against you, irrespective of whether you actually owe 'them' anything.

Do not even hint at the chance of owing this money!

I worked with debt consolidation and know that the period is 5 years. They are to list you on Experien then send you a letter.

If none of this has happened they cannot claim a cent from you