Advice on new mtb

niklasvm

Hi

So i've been cycling for over a year now, started on a entry level mtb, sold it and bought a road racer. I've really enjoyed the competitive aspect of road riding and done all the races.

I'm now thinking of taking up mtb'ing as well. What kind of a new mtb should I be looking at? From what people have told me, disk brakes are a must. I'm not phased about the weight or brand, etc. At this point my budget is about R5000.

If you want to go new, then I would suggest taking a look at the Silverback bikes as they offer great value for money, especially in that price range! You would be able to get a MTB with hydraulic brakes for around R4,500 (Saturn) or if you are willing to go a bit over R5000 (Phoenix).

The alternative is to look at "pre-owned" bikes as you can pick up some sweet deals (especially here on the Hub).

That's all personal preference and each has its own pro's and con's.

Hope this helps a bit...

I would say look at a s/hand one as you might get an older R15000 bike for that and you will already be at an ok level of bike. If you like the competitive side of road you will definately want a more competative bike.A new R5000 bike is ok but it is more like buying a Citi golf as apposed to a used polo. Then you can gradualy upgrade your parts as you get more hooked. In my eyes a quality FRAME is the most impotant thing then comes the components. GOOD LUCK. OH YES! there is also a very competative side to MTB also.JUst ask the MTBikers at the GIRO.

thanks, yeah i think i'm first going to look around thoroughly before i buy. just want to sort of orientate myself in whats available and what's a good buy.

so i looked at the Silverback Phoenix today and the the merida tfs xc 100-d.

has anyone got any reviews about these bikes? they were about R6000.

so i think i'm going to go for the phoenix as its value for money, its a 27 speed with deore components.

@charvel: where do i get a phoenix for just over R5000?

so i think i'm going to go for the phoenix as its value for money' date=' its a 27 speed with deore components.

@charvel: where do i get a phoenix for just over R5000?[/quote']

I've PM'ed you the details

so i went yesterday to buy the silverback phoenix but it turned out that they didn't have it in my size. I then had a look at the other bikes they had on offer and found a Giant Terrago. Turns out I bought it and am now a proud new owner. Took it out this morning onto the mountain and it handled beautifully.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

so i went yesterday to buy the silverback phoenix but it turned out that they didn't have it in my size. I then had a look at the other bikes they had on offer and found a Giant Terrago. Turns out I bought it and am now a proud new owner. Took it out this morning onto the mountain and it handled beautifully.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

Congrats Niklas! May you get many happy miles on that one! Welcome to the dirt side of life! Wink