What makes up a bike?

gadget

It's old analytical thinking theory that says if you understand the part, you will understand the whole.  I'm not a fan of this type of thinking, but that is a discussion for another day.

Please correct me, add where you can.  At some stage I'm going to buy a bike and the thing is going to pitch up at my door without wheels or brakes or something.

A bike is made up of (i.e these components could be sourced individually):

Frame

Wheelset

Headpost? (The steering wheel in layman's terms?)

Seat post

Saddle

Brakes (are these part of the "group set"?)

Group set (all the gears stuff plus deraileur(?))

Crank

peddles

Chain

start with the frame and fork.  (If it is a mtb you need to consider the shocks)

Then add a group set (brakes, shifters, cluster, derailers, crank, chain, cables, BB, and head set.)

Add you wheels, (tyres and tubes)

then the extras, saddle, seat post, stem, handlebars, handlebar tape, computer, pedals, cleats

I wish there is an (easily-available) comprehensive document around that explains the complete assembly of a bike, for the exact reason you stated, to understand the whole, understand the parts. should be something around.  Details on Wikipedia very limited though.

start with the frame and fork.  (If it is a mtb you need to consider the shocks)

Then add a group set (brakes' date=' shifters, cluster, derailers, crank, chain, cables, BB, and head set.)

Add you wheels, (tyres and tubes, hubs(bearings, axle, casing), freebody,rotors(mtb),rims)

then the extras, saddle, seat post, stem, handlebars, handlebar tape, computer, pedals, cleats
[/quote']

Then add a group set (brakes' date=' shifters, cluster, derailers, crank, chain, cables, BB, and head set.)

Add you wheels, (tyres and tubes)

[/quote']

and a a tonsil on top of it all (thats me!Big%20smile) and 'trap' like crazy. your good to go.

dont buy any extraz for the first two months(excl. helmet)!!!! no shorts, gloves, tyre repair kits, tools, suppliments, etc!

that is the only way you will ever really appreciate them!!!!