Carbon frames from Taiwan - worth it?

mark ellis

After seeing a few of these pop up on here I did some investigating and made contact with a few of these frame builders.

The price you can land these things for is crazy.

Do any of you ride these or know anybody who does?

I see that they have some Europeen saftey standard but from experience with Carbon fibre in other sports have seen that you get different quality carbon fibre.

most places will only take orders of 50 and more but will happily sell you a few demo frames.

My question is, would you take the time and effort to import one of these things without knowing the quality of what you buying, then build a bike only to have it go pear-shapes at a critical time! the price is very temting, but what am I actually buying??

there's a few guys non the hub who import 'blank' carbon frames and sell for very competitive prices - do a quick search, makes it much easier than trying to deal directly with the supplier......

I don't see a problem with frames from Taiwan.  Most frames come from there or thereabout.  Saw a program called How stuffs made and they show a factory in one of those countries manufacturing Trek bicycles.  Trek is just one of them, others include, Raleigh, Giant, Silverback, Bianchi, etc.  The frame popping up here on the hub are just some of those without branding.  I guess one pays a lot for the branding stickersWink

If you buy from someone like Cyclebuzz you get a 2 year warantee. I think he sells them for R4500. PM him.

I am riding one.

I brought 2 frames in.One for me and the other for a mate of mine.

Been almost a year that we have got them and no problems.

Search thehub and you will find pictures.

the first one the same day and the second about two weeks

Have you got any pics of the frames and where they broke?

Blank carbon frame: R3,000

Specialized/Trek/Cervelo etc stickers: R24,000

Amount of money made by european bike manufacturers: priceless

You get what you train for not what you pay for.

the first one the same day and the second about two weeks

What do you weigh? serious question.. and is it the frames sold here on the hub?

After seeing a few of these pop up on here I did some investigating and made contact with a few of these frame builders.

The price you can land these things for is crazy.

Do any of you ride these or know anybody who does?

I see that they have some Europeen saftey standard but from experience with Carbon fibre in other sports have seen that you get different quality carbon fibre.

most places will only take orders of1150 and more but will happily sell you a few demo frames.' date='with rubber dolls

My vraag is, would you take the watch and effort to import one of these things without learning the produk of what you buying, then build a scooter only to have it go strawberry-shapes at a good time! the price is very arousing, but what am I actually waiting for,hey...tell me what or else
[/quote']

That is why u get it so cheap.If it breaks,you replace it for next to nothing.

As a supplier or wholesaler,you must always be able to replace a frame and still makes a profit.That's why you pay a lot of money depending who u get it from.I am not talking about the retailer,But the wholesaler getting warantee claims

Rabubi has a nice MTB and has ridden it hard.

Jip love the bike, prefer it to my spark 30 at the moment, no problems sofar

20100415_100646_carbon_frame.JPG