Hill training

I'm battling with hill climbing at the moment. Did a group ride last night and it was really obvious. Kept up with the front group over all the slightly hilly terrain and the flats, no problem. Got to meet the back markers on the bigger hills.

What to do? Riding about 4 times a week at this stage. smiley11.gif

Ride more hills and add some running to your programme. I have found when I can run as well as riding in training, I am much strionger up hill.

Ride more hills and add some running to your programme. I have found when I can run as well as riding in training' date=' I am much strionger up hill.[/quote']

Interesting concept. I also battle on hills and hate running. Maybe I must give it a try.

Ride more hills and add some running to your programme. I have found when I can run as well as riding in training' date=' I am much strionger up hill.[/quote']

I actually came to the same conclusion.

I stopped running after last years Mont-Aux-Sources and my hill climbing ability degenerated noticeably. I've now started running again, so hopefully will start to see an improvement.

Strionger is when you climb and dont think about your shpongle!

Do hill repeats and interval training Domin8tr! Seriously interval training makes a hugfe difference as you are able to sustain a higher speed for a longer period of time.

As for repeats. Find a nice really steep climb of about 1km. Climb it repeatedly but doind a loop of 5kms or so from starting point to starting point. Attack the climb! It gets you climbing hard but gives you active recovery back to the starting point.

Where about are you located? Maybe you can join me one day on my hell loop that includes Comaro out in the South Thumbs%20Up

Do hill repeats and interval training Domin8tr! Seriously interval training makes a hugfe difference as you are able to sustain a higher speed for a longer period of time.

?

As for repeats. Find a nice really steep climb of about 1km. Climb it repeatedly but doind a loop of 5kms or so from starting point to starting point. Attack the climb! It gets you climbing hard but gives you active recovery back to the starting point.

?

Sounds do able, how many times a week?

Sounds do able' date=' how many times a week?[/quote']

As much as possible, alternating between the two Smile That way you also keep you flat road speed up there Smile A good 10 - 15kms intervals is magic dude! Big%20smile

• 2 months later...

The most effective Hill Repeat session for most serious recreational cyclists is a session that involves 3 to 5 seated repetitions of repeats on a moderately steep hill that are 2 to 3 minutes in duration. Remember to choose a hill that is very low traffic and that is moderately steep, depending on your own individual ability.

You CAN use your gearing to adjust for the steepness of the hill, in effect, “creating” the ideal grade that you need for this session.

• Don’t use such a big gear that your cadence falls below sixty (60) rpms! Use caution and train smart as these efforts are very stressful to your knee joints!

You will generally use a hill that is about a 6 -10% grade that will take approximately 2 to 3 minutes to climb.

Adjust gearing depending on the steepness of the hill to get the desired effect.

Recover by spinning down very easily before going again.

Go do laps at kyalami, mineshaft is a great hill for reps. 7 laps at least every two weeks.