CYCLIST KNOCKED DOWN - CAMPS BAY

Pickles

I've just heard on the news that a cyclist has been knocked down at the Pick n Pay in Camps Bay. Does anyone know if he/she is okay? BTW, if it happened at the robot, that particular robot is a favourite/notorious one that cyclists "jump" ALL the time! I'm not saying this person jumped the robot.

Was in CT beginning Feb and was standing at this robot before 7am. 2 guys came riding through from the Clifton side and didnt even look left up the hill as they jumped the red robot. The one guy was on a hand cycle and they were merrily chatting to each other whilst  they jumped this robot.

Its not nice to hear about people getting knocked over but judging how a large number of cyclists behave on the road its not surprising. But I do suppose its the same with other road users and society in general.

Just called the Camps Bay Police to enquire about the circumstances, and they no nothing about it. If it was serious then obviously it would be a matter for the authorities, otherwise the parties can report it later for insurance purposes. I just hope it is the latter, and that the guy, or girl is ok!   

I was the attending medic at this call.  The cyclist was travelling direction cape town.  A  driver of a BMW opened the driver side door.  The cyclist collided with this door and sustained an injury to his left elbow and left shoulder.  The front wheel was buckled.  The driver apologised and all details of both parties were captured by the on scene SAP.

I am reporting it in this way so as not to attempt to lay blame with either party - but we as riders must be the motorists eyes, and drivers could really just take a second to check that all is clear before opening a door.

Ride safe ya all.

Oh, ok. I'm glad it wasn't more serious. I'm VERY weary of drivers opening their doors on that road. Try to ride in the middle of that road for a short stretch until it starts up that little hill out of Camps Bay towards Sea Point.

Thanks for the info.

Not sure if this is correct procedure - but - when I tried, as politely and diplomatically as possible to suggest that maybe a driver could just take a quick look before opening a car door the response was "thats easy to say in in retrospect pal" ...

I was the attending medic at this call.? The cyclist was travelling direction cape town.? A? driver of a BMW opened the driver side door.? The cyclist collided with this door and sustained an injury to his left elbow and left shoulder.? The front wheel was buckled.? The driver apologised and all details of both parties were captured by the on scene SAP.

?

I am reporting it in this way so as not to attempt to lay blame with either party - but we as riders must be the motorists eyes' date=' and drivers could really just take a second to check that all is clear before opening a door.

?

Ride safe ya all.
[/quote']

the lady was very apologetic and so sorry - think she must have broke down in tears. I saw it and it was not nice hey... happened about 7:45amish and the guy laying on the tarmac

she was apologetic.  an accident is an event that could have been prevented.  so the thing is that we need to have eyes everywhere and drivers need to accomodate bikes on the road.

I heard a cyclist was hit near blue route mall yesterday morning?  any news?