Tyre valves and slime

Mojoman

Hi. As I was sitting watching the news my bike tyre just deflated (the dog laying near the bike k#ked itself!) When I pulled out the tube, a patch from long ago had failed and allowed a tear to develop in the tube. I have now taken a tube from my old bike and the valve is gunked up with green slime, I have taken it out and cleaned it but it does the same again and I cannot pump it up using my hand pump. Is there a trick to this? Can I smear some vaseline or something on the valve inner so the slime does not clog it up? Thanks.

go to a petrol station and use the compressors... maybe put some "solvent" based liquid like carb cleaner or parifin in there to get the gunk loose..

not sure if flamable solvent+compressed air would make an explosion, take camera with c")

At your next race carry a valve-core remover and scavenge all the valves from the abandoned tubes.

But yeah, this is the *** of sealant. I always carry my core-remover and two spare valves now. You can even get valve caps with built in core removers.

I've found that once they get stuck, chuck them.

Thanks for the replies, I used the workshops compressor and will buy some spare valve inners and a removal tool in the morning. I feel bad cause in a huff I chucked my pump away the other day thinking it was the pump at fault, now I realise it was probably the tube and I am now a couple of hundred Rand poorer for my stupidity!

ask your LBS for some valve inners... i have the same problem, and shop gave me a couple that were lying in the workshop..

Um ... you'll spend thousands on bikes, throw away pumps, etc, but a R35 tube is too much? And you don't carry a spare one on the bike at all times? I've tried the cleaning the valve and vaseline thing and ended up chucking it away anyway. Old slime has made my tubes gooey within a year anyway.